Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Yeah, cooking oil is ok. You can use the hardieboard too, but it should be cut short and dropped out after the slab cures. The gap isn't really a big deal if you block it with something, even rolled newspaper. The focus is on supporting the center.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 05-28-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Serf

Just to 'chime' in on another fellow WFO builders thread.

Regarding the concrete base. If I already lay a moisture barrier - builders plastic down on the slab, is it a bit of 'over egging the custard' if I lay some moisture barrier down for when I get around to pouring the base for the dome?

I tend to over engineer 'stuff'.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccymech View Post
Just to 'chime' in on another fellow WFO builders thread.

Regarding the concrete base. If I already lay a moisture barrier - builders plastic down on the slab, is it a bit of 'over egging the custard' if I lay some moisture barrier down for when I get around to pouring the base for the dome?

I tend to over engineer 'stuff'.
If you are talking about the structural slab for the hearth. It would be great to add another layer of plastic and/or sealer on top of it but, under the insulation layer .

Old 05-29-2013, 04:22 AM
Apprentice

almost there :O
can someone please have a look at my picture and tell me if it is ok to have particle board 10-15mm below top brick edge?

I can bring it up but unless there is some trouble i'm asking for other than using little bit of extra concrete then I would prefer use that time on finishing up my frame box tomorrow morning.

also i'm going to make small 25mm "lip" edge around the outside brick to hide brick<>concrete line that can look bit ugly, anything I should look out for with this idea?
Attached Thumbnails
house brick for stand, quick quetsion-wp_20130529_002.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocAu View Post
almost there :O
can someone please have a look at my picture and tell me if it is ok to have particle board 10-15mm below top brick edge?

I can bring it up but unless there is some trouble i'm asking for other than using little bit of extra concrete then I would prefer use that time on finishing up my frame box tomorrow morning.

also i'm going to make small 25mm "lip" edge around the outside brick to hide brick<>concrete line that can look bit ugly, anything I should look out for with this idea?
Yes that is O.K. No problems with creating a small ledger either. Remember to add some kind of release to your form...that stuff will really take the water in.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 05-29-2013, 05:16 AM
Apprentice

I have put shiny side up so fingers crossed it wont be too bad and I plan to rub it with a lot of cooking oil, should I do more? also how soon can i remove my form? i figure the longer i leave it in place the harder it will be to remove.
also any tips on how to get top finished nice and smooth?
now that this "thing" is taking its shape I can't believe how HUGE it is :O
Old 05-29-2013, 05:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I suspect you have Masonite and not particle board...at least that what it looks like in the picture. Give it another liberal coat just before you pour the concrete in...no standing puddles, just wipe it down. Leave the form for 7 days and keep the top of the slab covered with plastic.

Once you screed the slab level, use a mag float to smooth it out. It will close up the concrete and give you more 'shine' than a wooden float.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 05-29-2013, 06:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I have put shiny side up so fingers crossed it wont be too bad and I plan to rub it with a lot of cooking oil, should I do more? also how soon can i remove my form? i figure the longer i leave it in place the harder it will be to remove.
also any tips on how to get top finished nice and smooth?
now that this "thing" is taking its shape I can't believe how HUGE it is :O
Another good trick for a small area like this is parchment paper laid over the particle board, it can be taped on the underside at the seams to seal it together and will release very easy when you take the board out

Chip
Old 05-29-2013, 06:14 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I suspect you have Masonite and not particle board...at least that what it looks like in the picture.
it is subfloor board down under we call it yellow tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Another good trick for a small area like this is parchment paper laid over the particle board, it can be taped on the underside at the seams to seal it together and will release very easy when you take the board out

Chip
quick google indicates that parchment paper = baking paper? is that correct? if so then that is great as I got giant 300meter roll here
Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
it is subfloor board down under we call it yellow tongue

quick google indicates that parchment paper = baking paper? is that correct? if so then that is great as I got giant 300meter roll here
Correct baking paper = parchment paper