Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Hi Crocau

Sounds great, out there cooking and eating makes the challenges re cracking go away. Just keep eating the mind will eventually forget those annoying aberrations.

I'm guessing same will occur with my build, for all the effort I believe I still will get cracking occurring.

I will miss having the WFO usable by my sons 21st on 21 Sep. Flue not due until 15 September. So I will not be able to start curing until around then without taking annual leave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Apprentice

hi all, going to do colorbond roof this week or week after and I got dektite for sealing around my flue but i'm little bit worried about flue temperature, would i be right that it goes over the 250C that red dektite is rated for?
so i'm now thinking about getting putting 2nd flue over my existing 7" and then using dektite to seal that instead
any tips on doing double flue would be great, or any tips at all
thanks guys
Old 10-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The red decktite is sufficient, unless you overload the chamber and have flames going right up the flue pipe.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Apprentice

Oops, I didn't expect that answer, So no need for doing double skin just use red silicone dektite around my flue?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi croc
I believe regulations stipulate that any flue going through a roof anywhere near a wooden structure needs to be triple skin. I had to do that with a combustion hater treats ago. And regulations usually become stricter over time not more lenient. I would go double skin route, or check with a combustion heater retailer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:14 AM
Apprentice

roof is all metal including posts and frame so i should be ok with that
i worked out that if i line up colorbond to my flue i can mark it within 1-2mm and cut it out with nibbler then i will just use high heat silicon, if i keep my gap around flue really close this should be all i need i figure

ALSO in other news, i started fire today after oven being exposed to rain for few weeks because i got sick of putting tarp back on it with all wild winds we been getting where at one stage i almost lost huge sliding door glass due to one of bricks i had holding tarp down went flying with tarp at my house.
oven got soaked multiple times (thanks melbourne weather) so i was expecting drying fires for few days but it looks like i reached cooking temperatures without any problems, I started small so walls didn't get black all the way to the bottom so i'm not sure how to read dome clearing in such situation but after one hour dome started to clear up from top as normal, quite happy with that, one i have my roof i will have no problem with cooking no matter what weather is out there
Old 11-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Apprentice

I got tip for new oven builders out there.
STOP stressing too much.
if you review my thread from the start you might notice I worry about everything and some more and i do it ahead of time as well to make it even harder for myself.
well, today i got oven that was exposed to rain for few weeks and when i say rain i mean BIG rain, it got wet everywher, dome, floor, you name it.
I also got cracks, arch, dome, perlite render, main slab, you name it and it got crack in it and i'm expecting more cracks in final render one day BUT NON of that matters when you cook delicious pizzas and believe me when you see thermal expansion in action as your oven gets hot during big fire you will know that there is no oven without cracks or should i say expansion joints.
you can avoid some issues but they wont ruin your day so pick your battles wisely because no matter what you going to enjoy it unless you use superglue instead of mortar or do something just as stupid
Liteceeper likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocAu View Post
hi all, going to do colorbond roof this week or week after and I got dektite for sealing around my flue but i'm little bit worried about flue temperature, would i be right that it goes over the 250C that red dektite is rated for?
so i'm now thinking about getting putting 2nd flue over my existing 7" and then using dektite to seal that instead
any tips on doing double flue would be great, or any tips at all
thanks guys
I have an 8" flue and had a 10" outer pipe and cowl made for that. I made the hole in the colorbond roof neat and tight and used silicone to seal it. The stainless doesn't get so hot and this set-up has been operating for some time and is holding up fine. The flue pipe exhausts above the seal at roof level and the temp of the roof at the sealing point doesn't get much above ambient.

A local sheet metal workshop charged me $90 for the outer chimney pipe and cowl.

The silicone had the same heat rating as the red dektite and was considerably cheaper. I think there is always a temptation to over engineer these things.

house brick for stand, quick quetsion-dsc06783.jpg

house brick for stand, quick quetsion-dsc06809.jpg

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 11-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Apprentice

I like what you done that, I was looking in your thread on the photos but don't recall seeing the one from above.
that is the finish on top that i'm aiming for but Is there any reason why i couldn't/shouldn't just go single flue? tube of silicon i got from Ben is rated to ~500C
Old 11-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Apprentice

just small update, almost done now
Attached Thumbnails
house brick for stand, quick quetsion-20131122_205204.jpg