Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Hey Croc - Without being an expert I would suggest that if nothing is getting worse then you have a max 0.5mm crack to live with. Wear it like a badge of honour. We all have one if the truth is known. Just make sure that you let those you let see it know that it is there to be admired and not interfered with.

You sound stressed. Have a beer, and a pizza, and another beer.
Liteceeper likes this.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Apprentice

was going for another big fire today with no rain in view and got really good temperatures all around
most of the dome went to 1000F with top going 1100-1200
floor was near 1000F
this maintained itself for quite a long time, dome cleared all the way around without any problems.
most of the dome was around 1000F for almost 2 hours after fire died down and all i had left was embers and no real flame anywhere
once floor dropped to 850 i put in 3 arm size logs in push all to left and got on to making my pizza, then came with it after about 15min and put in my first pizza
had no timer going but it was just bit over 1min with single spin about half way mark
and here it is
Attached Thumbnails
house brick for stand, quick quetsion-wp_20130808_023.jpg  
Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Apprentice

structural slab now have 4 cracks (one on each side), i'm quite positive now that they are heat related thanks to some moisture still in calsil boards, today each crack expanded and since i got the whole thing so hot moisture traveled out the cracks leaving some wet spots at each side, not a lot but enough to crack it.
dome have one (that i can see) hair line crack traveling in mortar to about 4th course of bricks so i'm very happy with this.
if i was starting over with what i know today i'm quite sure i could avoid cracks structural slab but the dome and arch would show up without a question.
the amount of expansion i seen in floor tiles is just crazy, almost makes me feel lucky to only have the cracks in dome and arch that i have now.

question that i do have is my front 4 bricks that seal off calsil board at the front, due to crack in slab and due to floor pushing out from the expansion i have mortar hairline cracks around couple of bricks there, if i fix them after few more fires will they develop cracks again or most likely they would stay crack free?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You are probably stuck with them if you use mortar. Are your floor bricks mortared together? One reason lots of builders don't mortar the floor bricks is to allow for their expansion. Also an expansion joint/ heat break works well between the floor and the outer decorative arch.You could try filling the cracks with Sikafireate.

Last edited by david s; 08-08-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Apprentice

there is no mortar between floor tiles itself but there is mortar under the tiles, doesn't seem to stop the expansion, i can clearly see floor movement so i guess that is good thing other then my front landing bricks and mortar cracks.
my main worry is that water will get in there from rain a lot faster with the cracks open and get in to calsil boards, maybe i will dig out inch of mortar and feel that in with sikafireate
if water didn't worry me i would just leave it, the landing is all made of refractory bricks and they suck water in anyway so maybe i should just ignore the crack? the way my oven cooked yesterday i just could not care less about couple of cracks there.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Apprentice

just had a quick look and all cracks closed up a lot on cool down
Old 08-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocAu View Post
there is no mortar between floor tiles itself but there is mortar under the tiles, doesn't seem to stop the expansion, i can clearly see floor movement so i guess that is good thing other then my front landing bricks and mortar cracks.
my main worry is that water will get in there from rain a lot faster with the cracks open and get in to calsil boards, maybe i will dig out inch of mortar and feel that in with sikafireate
if water didn't worry me i would just leave it, the landing is all made of refractory bricks and they suck water in anyway so maybe i should just ignore the crack? the way my oven cooked yesterday i just could not care less about couple of cracks there.
Gudday
I recon Davids sikafireate should handle those cracks. As you have pointed out those entrance bricks are you Achilles heel when it comes to rain. I have poured a cup of water on mine and you would not believe how fast they suck the water down!
I have a outer cover/door now but before a simple tarp held down with a few bricks stopped that problem.
I suppose overhead cover would eliminate the problem completely but I enjoy the winter sun and being in the open air so I don't consider it an option.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
For anybody that may be reading this...a membrane (plastic sheeting) will stop slab cracking from migrating up into your cladding and/or dome.

Croc, too late for that on yours, unless you plan on overlaying the exposed slab with something.
Hi Croc & Stonecutter

Liteceeper here, been crook all week with flu so no action with build but have been researching forum for hints and tips. I know Croc is following my build, not sure about stonecutter.

My question is, as I am also building a brick stand first using a membrane between foundation and first row of bricks, when it comes to forming up and pouring slab do I place a membrane on top of brickwork to isolate slab?

I will follow stonecutters advice and place membrane between slab and perlite insulation render.

Any further advice welcomed.

PS. how do I add a link on signature to build thread?

My Door -

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteceeper View Post
.......... when it comes to forming up and pouring slab do I place a membrane on top of brickwork to isolate slab?
Yep, you got it.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-17-2013, 05:43 AM
Apprentice

cooking day today again, had bit of a freak out when rain drops showed up but it never developed in to more than small shower that lasted few minutes and thanks god because i just started inferno going....

oven saturated very nice, had pizza temperature for couple of hours and that was with virtually no side flame going as I didn't want to go to the garage to get more wood.

3 hours after pushing fire to the side and with all my cooking done oven is still 750F all over including most of the floor and 850F at the very peak of the dome

underside of the structural slab still getting warm but instead of 70+ i maxed out at 49
cracks didn't open as much today as well so i'm all smiles right now

what is the best way to keep temperature for tomorrow? right now i have small gap left in door to keep embers going, should i let them burn off all the way or is it better to close door already?
around 12hours later should i expect bread temperatures or will I have to fire up a little extra wood?