Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 02:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Colin,
If you're building a dog house around your oven then you are better to leave the outside porous and not add the rendered shell and waterproofing. That way it can breathe inside the doghouse. Regarding the flue seal where it will penetrate through the roof, you need a thing called a Decktite. Our local Bunnings has them, but if yours doesn't a plumbing supplies place will. If you have a single walled flue then get the orange one (higher temp rated) if using a double walled flue you can use the black one (lower temp rating)
David think you are referring to the wrong person?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
David think you are referring to the wrong person?
Oops, apologies for that. Thanks for picking up the error.

Croc,
The flue can go either through the ridge cap or further down, it depends how you build your roof and what is more convenient. The decktite seals to the roof with silicone and tek screws.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Apprentice

i decided to go with very simple and cheap option that will be easy to install and also give option to add more protection from elements if needed
first i will render/seal my dome
then i will use flanged pool posts in the rear of my slab, and also at the front but with some 20cm setback and bit taller than the ones at the back to get rain moving down that direction
then will use same type of posts but without flanged bottom to build top frame and then finally mount some left over stratco colorbond sheeting i used in my old house for pergola.
this will give me good protection from top, also i will extend front fair bit past the oven entrance, simple one day job and if in future i find it isn't enough i can easily add side panels

doing so will leave my structural cracks in view so i'm going to tile the slab around, on the top i understand i should use some pvc underlay to prevent further movement around cracks from showing on tiles/grout but how do i tackle the vertical sides? to prevent this problem?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocAu View Post
doing so will leave my structural cracks in view so i'm going to tile the slab around, on the top i understand i should use some pvc underlay to prevent further movement around cracks from showing on tiles/grout but how do i tackle the vertical sides? to prevent this problem?
I had suggested this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I recommend an exterior uncoupling layer, which will prevent any cracks from migrating through your tile and grout.

I don't know what is available to you over there but this is what I use.

Ditra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I had suggested this....

that's right, and i think it is great idea which is why i'm going to follow your suggestion just wondering if there is option for vertical surface to do provide same function
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Apprentice

maybe i just leave gap over the crack on vertical side of slab and instead of grout i use silicone caulk in that spot
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can use membranes on vertical surfaces.

Don't depend on caulk or liquid membranes to span cracking...remember, this is a new slab, and if it the crack widens a liquid membrane has a limit before it breaks and the crack will transfer up through your thin-set and the tile.

Read all the info from the link, it will help you understand how uncoupling layers work. Modern materials for an ancient technique...some floors in Rome had uncoupling layers.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Apprentice

funny story today

48hours after last fire and oven still had around 50C (120F)
slab underside was 26C in hottest spot
so i start my fire and 30min in underside temperature started to go down, how freaky is that, the hotter the oven got the cooler structural slab was at 40min mark it was down to 20C

am i guessing right that my calsil insulation under the floor is finally drying up?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocAu View Post
funny story today

48hours after last fire and oven still had around 50C (120F)
slab underside was 26C in hottest spot
so i start my fire and 30min in underside temperature started to go down, how freaky is that, the hotter the oven got the cooler structural slab was at 40min mark it was down to 20C

am i guessing right that my calsil insulation under the floor is finally drying up?
Because it takes a couple of hours for the heat of the fire to get through the cal sil it is not doing anything to heat the supporting slab, meanwhile the slab is losing heat to the atmosphere so still cools down even though you have fire in the oven.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 AM
Apprentice

my crack opens up a little (back to that max 0.5mm i had before) as i heat up the oven over whole day and slab temperature goes up, then it closes up once temperature drops.
am i guessing right that if supporting stand was too weak it would never close back once temperature dropped so this is good sign and nothing more but cosmetic scar?