Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 11:53 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccymech View Post
G'day Croc. Good bit of brickwork.

Just going to pay attention to your build. I'm going to build also in brick, got 4 pallets of bricks left over from our house build so what better use than an outdoor BBQ & WFO.

Saw you attachment in the first post, going to copy that if you don't mind, and add about a metre and a half for the BBQ and servery thingy.

Yeah, I'm too in Melbourne so the weather may be bit of an issue due to working in the mines in WA and getting home to build.
copy all you want
I was going originally have BBQ section but run out of room and I figure I can BBQ inside of my oven if I want something bigger and for everything else I got weber Q320 on my deck upstairs.
as for servery thingy you can't see on the picture much but on the left side I have extra bench build up with bricks (one level higher to compensate for slab) and I got left over from my kitchen granite bench to go on top of that.
it is going to be about 1200mm long, perfect for preparation, etc.. I will do better picture next time to show it
Old 05-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocAu View Post
i'm bit worry about frost bite, is there anyway to tell if mortar was affected?

also is it normal my bottom levels still show a lot of dark colour in mortar? so far it seem top two levels starting to brighten up while rest is showing dark as if there is still fair bit of water left inside, I hope colour evens out because it looks messy with different shades of grey right now
Frost bite, in Australia? can you see any penguins, no, then it will be alright.

The different colours are due to dampness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 PM
Serf

Quote:
i'm bit worry about frost bite, is there anyway to tell if mortar was affected?

also is it normal my bottom levels still show a lot of dark colour in mortar? so far it seem top two levels starting to brighten up while rest is showing dark as if there is still fair bit of water left inside, I hope colour evens out because it looks messy with different shades of grey right now
How was your mortar batch? Consistent? That could be a reason for the uneven shades. Although, the brick letterbox I'm doing at the moment the ratio of cement/lime/sand wouldn't be exactly 'spot-on' and has dried consistent.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccymech View Post
How was your mortar batch? Consistent? That could be a reason for the uneven shades. Although, the brick letterbox I'm doing at the moment the ratio of cement/lime/sand wouldn't be exactly 'spot-on' and has dried consistent.
mix was consistent, (measured with bucket not shovels) but couple of batches were little wetter then others but same sand/cement/lime ratio all the way from top to bottom
Old 05-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can have wild swings in ratios and it will still all basically look the same as long as you have the same type of cement and same coloured sand.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Frost bite, in Australia? can you see any penguins, no, then it will be alright.

The different colours are due to dampness.
I have seen penguins on Phillip Island does that count?

I'm in Drouin (west Gippsland) and we do get frost on our cars in a morning sometimes with temperature at night at 0C-1C few times last week so that is why I worry a bit.

should I forget about it and let it be? also should I keep on covering it at night to protect from low temperature and winds or I worry too much for nothing?
if I stop covering it at night is it safe to leave top bricks open without any cover from rain that then sits inside the brick holes?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Serf

Me, personally, wouldn't care too much now regarding the weather - unless it was 'bucketing' down and I was still trying to lay a course or pour a 'slab'.

By the time you 'box' up the 'slab', set your levels/reo etc - there's a day in itself, well for me anyway
Old 05-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I worry too much for nothing?
Correct, ppl tend to over think things, no need to cover brickwork unless its just laid and a rainstorm is about to hit.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Apprentice

guys thank you very much for all the comments, I always over thing every project and now I can sleep better
with bit of luck I will manage to get my slab going over next few days so expect few more worry questions
brickie in oz likes this.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Apprentice

hi again everyone
got another quick question, I was going to use cement sheet to hold concrete in place while wet. is this what you call Hardibacker? if so then what thickens should I use and considering my base shape would one long plank in centre of both "chambers" with couple of sticks holding it up be enough, assuming that outer edges would rest on bircks?
or should I forget hardy backer and go for particle board and then remove it once done?

TIA