Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
As Stonecutter says, that's not going to crack your slab - but it is a surprising amount of heat going into the slab. Checked back in your thread and see you have 2 inches of cal-sil. Is that wet? Thinking that might be why your floor is not heating.
yes it would be wet a bit, it was set on bed of mortar so that would bring some water in to it plus all the cleaning, etc would put more water in it.
with all the troubles today i'm now not 100% sure how to go ahead with rest of my curing fires, dome seem to be just about ready for the big fire with today reading ~700F after mid size fire but having slab getting so hot i worry about starting same size fires tomorrow so i don't make the cracks even bigger so any tips on how to get that water out from my cal-sil boards would be great
Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocAu View Post
yes it would be wet a bit, it was set on bed of mortar so that would bring some water in to it plus all the cleaning, etc would put more water in it.
with all the troubles today i'm now not 100% sure how to go ahead with rest of my curing fires, dome seem to be just about ready for the big fire with today reading ~700F after mid size fire but having slab getting so hot i worry about starting same size fires tomorrow so i don't make the cracks even bigger so any tips on how to get that water out from my cal-sil boards would be great
The first step will be don't let anymore water infiltrate the insulation. Then the next thing will be try and keep heat in the oven as long as possible...long burns to suck the water out of the insulation. You don't need an inferno either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
The first step will be don't let anymore water infiltrate the insulation. Then the next thing will be try and keep heat in the oven as long as possible...long burns to suck the water out of the insulation. You don't need an inferno either.
other than final decorative render and latex paint all is done and finished so there is no more water going in to it and oven gets covered when i'm not around so nothing rains on it and good thing is that now dome retains a lot of heat overnight with door on.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you can, pull up a couple of bricks from the floor and check the insulation with a moisture meter - just to see what you are dealing with.

Moisture meters are pretty cheap and good to have for checking firewood anyway.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
If you can, pull up a couple of bricks from the floor and check the insulation with a moisture meter - just to see what you are dealing with.

Moisture meters are pretty cheap and good to have for checking firewood anyway.
removing floor wont be possible, i have castable heatbank under the floor tiles that are seated on refreactory mortar so i will have to go by the ear (temperature)

today after almost 24hours of no fire whole oven was still around 200F and floor around 140F
slab from below was around 90F
Old 08-03-2013, 06:23 AM
Apprentice

My largest crack at the back closed up fair bit, I would say it is about half the width. Would this indicate that it was my long day of mid size fire being the cause since gap got smaller after cool down? I guess that is sort of good news and all I have to worry about is to hide the cosmetic crack?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Apprentice

thinking now of building dog house to cover my oven
got few questions

steel frame materials? bunnings will have it all?
how would one attach bottom runner around concrete slab edge, is it safe to use dynabolts so close to the edge?

is there any cement sheeting i can use that wont need wire mesh to hold render and also how much space i need to leave for render

roof covering, what would be the easiest option and how to tackle flute penetration so it is sealed?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I can't speak to Oz supplies - but I built my housing out of steel studs. Attached the bottom runner with something they call "Tapcons" over here. They work great for cement anchors. Three or four per side did the trick.

I think others have used stucco right over concrete board on the housing - but personally, I went the extra step and used paper + mesh. Takes a couple hours and now I don't need to worry about my render chipping off in huge chunks!

Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Croc,
If you're building a dog house around your oven then you are better to leave the outside porous and not add the rendered shell and waterproofing. That way it can breathe inside the doghouse. Regarding the flue seal where it will penetrate through the roof, you need a thing called a Decktite. Our local Bunnings has them, but if yours doesn't a plumbing supplies place will. If you have a single walled flue then get the orange one (higher temp rated) if using a double walled flue you can use the black one (lower temp rating)

Last edited by david s; 08-05-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Apprentice

yes I wont be doing render if i decide to go with dog house
does the dektite works well if i shoot my flute right in the center of roof ridge? or it has to be on flat side of the roof?