Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocAu View Post
yes i do plan to put something down to cover the slab now, wasn't before
most likely i will put tiles of some sort on top and the sides of the slab
I recommend an exterior uncoupling layer, which will prevent any cracks from migrating through your tile and grout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
just to double check in regards to your comment at the very start of this post
I noticed just before that temperature was just over 65C on the bottom side of the structural slab some time after fire stopped, when i mentioned 45C before it was with mid-large fire going and I was expecting this to be the peak but it seem heat was moving slowly that way with whole slab acting as heatsink and got hotter from embers after longer period of time when i didn't even consider checking temperatures so yesterday could have been bit higher as well later on during the day after main fire died down but there was lots of embers inside.
That is not enough to crack a slab like that.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
in the stand brickwork yes, dome doesn't seem to be affected as far i can see inside.
at the back where the biggest crack is (0.5mm), it travels up in to perlite render as shown on photo but also it travels down 3 bricks and stops about half way in the middle of 4th brick.

the ones on the left and right that would be no more then 0.2mm don't cut in to brick work in my stand
I feel that you need to add some braces to the bottom of your slab to relieve some of the load weight off the walls.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I feel that you need to add some braces to the bottom of your slab to relieve some of the load weight off the walls.
oh crap

can you please expand on what you have in mind and why so i understand what i'm looking at and how i go about adding the braces?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

DON'T PANIC...It's not a big deal. It's also possible that the cracking is caused by the concrete shrinking, and since it's tied into the walls, you get some cracking there too. But over the internet diagnosis usually lends itself to precautionary techniques.

Brace the underside of of the slab just as you would for the pour, except use angle iron or sistered PT lumber like a floor joist. For the braces you can use adjustable lally columns.

Again this is all precautionary...you should wait and see what happens over a few weeks.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Apprentice

i'm looking at my early photos in this thread with stand before the slab and wondering how the hell i got here, even with the support wall in the middle and each corner and middle of the back having tied in 2nd wall of bricks, also concrete was 32mpa and 110mm thick plus a lot of rebar i'm looking at serious problems?
i'm starting to wish i never ventured down the path of build WFO
Old 08-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Apprentice

btw stonecutter, i really appreciate your help and all the info (same goes for everyone else posting before) and hope you keep eye on my thread as i'm sure i will be needing more cheering up soon

it was great relaxation task with my oven till yesterday when my slab cracks started
Old 08-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
i'm starting to wish i never ventured down the path of build WFO
*sigh* Read this again.....You don't have a serious problem or one that is going to ruin your oven. Watch it, and if things change you have a solution.

Just cure it and start enjoying it.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Apprentice

thanks for that last post, it really took some weight of my shoulders at the end of quite a bad day
Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
just to double check in regards to your comment at the very start of this post
I noticed just before that temperature was just over 65C on the bottom side of the structural slab some time after fire stopped, when i mentioned 45C before it was with mid-large fire going and I was expecting this to be the peak but it seem heat was moving slowly that way with whole slab acting as heatsink and got hotter from embers after longer period of time when i didn't even consider checking temperatures so yesterday could have been bit higher as well later on during the day after main fire died down but there was lots of embers inside.
As Stonecutter says, that's not going to crack your slab - but it is a surprising amount of heat going into the slab. Checked back in your thread and see you have 2 inches of cal-sil. Is that wet? Thinking that might be why your floor is not heating.