Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

like my cracks were not bad enough it looks like my dog is on her last leg
some good news about my cracks would be great before i drink myself to sleep
Old 08-01-2013, 04:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I looked back on your thread to see your slab pre-pour. You have plenty of reinforcement, it's not going anywhere. Impossible to tell from the pictures, but I'm thinking those cracks are located above the divider wall in your storage area..is that correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-01-2013, 05:03 AM
Apprentice

sorry about the bad pics, i think you are right about that divider wall
and then center point at the back

dome reached around 700F today but floor still stays around 300-350 so i suspect freezing night and prolong heat exposure did the damage yesterday
do i keep going with my fires or should i back off till the floor jumps higher and start matching dome in temperature?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I seriously doubt the floor got hot enough to effect the slab.

Do you see any cracks running up the mortar joints in your brickwork?

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 08-01-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Apprentice

just double checked it and yes the ones on the sides are right where the divider wall is
Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am positive the cracks are not heat related, so you don't have to stop your curing schedule.

I would wait to do any exterior finishes ( stucco,brick...anything) before you get an idea how the slab will behave. Again, from your previous pictures, I feel that the strength of the slab is not compromised...but I am not there either. At the worst case scenario, you may have to shore the slab.

For now, don't worry too much and just keep an eye on it. The crack in your insulation will allow water penetration, so try and keep the whole thing dry as possible.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

For anybody that may be reading this...a membrane (plastic sheeting) will stop slab cracking from migrating up into your cladding and/or dome.

Croc, too late for that on yours, unless you plan on overlaying the exposed slab with something.
CrocAu likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I seriously doubt the floor got got enough to effect the slab.

Do you see any cracks running up the mortar joints in your brickwork?
in the stand brickwork yes, dome doesn't seem to be affected as far i can see inside.
at the back where the biggest crack is (0.5mm), it travels up in to perlite render as shown on photo but also it travels down 3 bricks and stops about half way in the middle of 4th brick.

the ones on the left and right that would be no more then 0.2mm don't cut in to brick work in my stand
Old 08-01-2013, 06:37 AM
Apprentice

Quote:

Croc, too late for that on yours, unless you plan on overlaying the exposed slab with something.
yes i do plan to put something down to cover the slab now, wasn't before
most likely i will put tiles of some sort on top and the sides of the slab
Old 08-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
I am positive the cracks are not heat related, so you don't have to stop your curing schedule.

I would wait to do any exterior finishes ( stucco,brick...anything) before you get an idea how the slab will behave. Again, from your previous pictures, I feel that the strength of the slab is not compromised...but I am not there either. At the worst case scenario, you may have to shore the slab.

For now, don't worry too much and just keep an eye on it. The crack in your insulation will allow water penetration, so try and keep the whole thing dry as possible.
just to double check in regards to your comment at the very start of this post
I noticed just before that temperature was just over 65C on the bottom side of the structural slab some time after fire stopped, when i mentioned 45C before it was with mid-large fire going and I was expecting this to be the peak but it seem heat was moving slowly that way with whole slab acting as heatsink and got hotter from embers after longer period of time when i didn't even consider checking temperatures so yesterday could have been bit higher as well later on during the day after main fire died down but there was lots of embers inside.