Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 01:26 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Hey Brickie,

I used this on my last oven but found there can be issues with it bubbling when you get moisture under the dome, invariably you get some.
What about something purpose specific, eg. An acrylic render coating that has some permeability?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
that has some permeability?
If it can let it out it can also let it in.

I used an acrylic paint on my first oven which sat outside in the weather and didnt see any probs.

My current oven has a roof on it and it sits underneath a roof too, kind of like belts and braces to keep your pants up.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
Hey Brickie,

I used this on my last oven but found there can be issues with it bubbling when you get moisture under the dome, invariably you get some.
What about something purpose specific, eg. An acrylic render coating that has some permeability?
The trick to avoid moisture bubbles under the waterproof coating is to eliminate all the water first. This means about 10 decent cooking fires after the outer shell is complete.If you have these moisture bubbles then sand them off, fire the oven until all the moisture has been driven off (throw some plastic sheeting over the oven to check for moisture condensing under it) then when dry recoat.

Last edited by david s; 07-16-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
The trick to avoid moisture bubbles under the waterproof coating is to eliminate all the water first. This means about 10 decent cooking fires after the outer shell is complete.If you have these moisture bubbles then sand them off, fire the oven until all the moisture has been driven off (throw some plastic sheeting over the oven to check for moisture condensing under it) then when dry recoat.
Hi

I get the idea of throwing plastic sheet over to check condensation, coming out of the oven when curing [had discussion with Doug about doing this]. I am assuming you only leave it there until ?????????? But I have found if you cover the oven with plastic sheet [no curing fire] as I did and sun gets on it, it will create condensation. That was happening to me when initially I was covering my oven with plastic sheet. It created moisture below it where I didn't want it [soaked into the calsil].

So I guess fire it up check for condensation remove it at some point.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hi

I get the idea of throwing plastic sheet over to check condensation, coming out of the oven when curing [had discussion with Doug about doing this]. I am assuming you only leave it there until ?????????? But I have found if you cover the oven with plastic sheet [no curing fire] as I did and sun gets on it, it will create condensation. That was happening to me when initially I was covering my oven with plastic sheet. It created moisture below it where I didn't want it [soaked into the calsil].

So I guess fire it up check for condensation remove it at some point.
Yes, only use it to test if moisture is there, otherwise remove it so the moisture can escape to the atmosphere.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocAu View Post
for final step i'm going to put Perlite mix insulation but i think i would like to cover that with some sort of water proof render or paint? any recommendations for melbourne weather? best if some choice of colours was possible
I used Dulux Acratex. It has the advantage of texture that helps cover minor imperfections. Otherwise I guess the outdoor acrylic paint will cut it.
Attached Thumbnails
house brick for stand, quick quetsion-31-5-13-2-.jpg  

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-16-2013, 04:49 AM
Apprentice

some great ideas to consider, thanks guys
this is my current stage, only 4 bricks to go at the landing and then insulation job and i'm DONE
Attached Thumbnails
house brick for stand, quick quetsion-wp_20130716_005.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 05:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Yes, only use it to test if moisture is there, otherwise remove it so the moisture can escape to the atmosphere.

Thanks David cleared it up. Ta

Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Apprentice

front is now finished
i also installed 2 layers of ceramic blanket and wired it around with chicken mesh or whatever you call it, should put some extra wire to hold the blanket really firm?
Attached Thumbnails
house brick for stand, quick quetsion-wp_20130717_001.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Master Builder

Assuming that you are going to put a vermicrete layer over it and then stucco/render I wouldn't worry about it. The vermicrete will be the start of the shell and the outer layer will complete the shell. Incorporating a vent to allow any moisture that is trapped between the dome and the outer layers is a good idea.

Close to flame!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics