Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Harro's parrilla (bbq and box oven) build in Brisbane, Aust

Hola Guillermo,

Thanks for bumping this thread, I haven't visited it in a while! The parrilla still isn't 100% finished (just the outside stone cladding to go), but I have been able to cook a few asados on it. Here's a couple of pics.

I brought the grill back with me from Argentina as we visit the wife's family there every year or so. Bit difficult on the plane but I don't think anyone could make one like this here in Australia without costing an arm and a leg.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Harro's parrilla (bbq and box oven) build in Brisbane, Aust-img_1049.jpg   Harro's parrilla (bbq and box oven) build in Brisbane, Aust-img_1050.jpg  
Old 10-31-2014, 08:18 PM
Serf

Hola Harro

Where do you get your asado chinchulin chorizo etc.... from in brisbane ive just moved up here from sydney and cant find anywhere to buy it

thanks

Diego
Old 11-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Peasant

Hola,

Long time since I have visited this site / thread, lucky for the email notification!

I have found a few different butchers around town for various different cuts.

For vacio, matambre, asado, morcilla and sometimes mojella - rock-n-roll butcher at greenslopes - since we started going there they now know all the argentinean cuts by name and will cut to your liking.

chinchulines - you have to go to the asian butcher at Sunnybank, the big one next to the fruit shop, can't remember the name right now but its the only place in Brisbane we've found to sell them, they call them fatty runners.

Super butcher at eagle farm sells mojella but from lamb, frozen. and morcilla, infact quite a few butchers sell the morcilla, its all the same brand. At times they also sell picana (rump cap) on special, or if you're lucky will cut off the rump cap from a whole rump.

Chorizo can be bought from Coles, or Pennisi imported foods in Woolloongabba (they also sell provolone cheese, which you can sometimes get from Coles too).

For anyone interested, I'll attach a few more pics of the finished parrilla. Very happy with the result, gets lot of attention and comments.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:10 AM
Peasant

Old 11-04-2014, 12:12 AM
Peasant

Old 11-04-2014, 01:43 AM
Peasant

Hey awesome.

How does it work exactly do you raise the meat into the cavity, or just up and down a little with the embers underneath. What do you use the oven on the side for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Master Builder

That is exceptional! I have not seen anything like it and the stonework is excellent. Inspirational.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Peasant

Thanks Greenman, a lot of work went into those stones!!

Thanks Brendan,

The meat stays on the grill (as shown on last pic), which can be raised or lowered by a handle on the right hand side (not shown). Hot coals are spread underneath, which are transferred from the firebox area to the left, and the whole cooking area heats up nicely for slow-grilling meat.

The little oven is heated by the fire below, but it takes a while to heat up and doesn't get too hot as the slab of firebrick is 50mm thick, and the door doesn't quite seal 100%. I usually just use it as a warming oven, would need some mods if it were to be used for anything requiring higher temps. Would be nice to roast vegies in there, but it only gets up to around 100deg C , I could get it up by putting coals in there too but its not usually the focus. That part was a bit of an experiment anyway!