Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: First firing of cream hard clay bricks.

Id doubt that the minuscule amount of clay in the mortar would create a problem.
Is so, just make sure the bricks are all angle cut, problem solved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, I was just suggesting that it is advisable to proceed with caution, especially with the first firings. We really push the ability of the materials to cope with the rapid temp increase even though the materials have the capacity to withstand temps. way in excess of that which we fire.The clay content in a 3:1:1;1 poor mans mortar is not miniscule it is about 17%

Last edited by david s; 05-21-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Serf

Hi, I dont mean to confuse you I guess it's more relevent to the wet clay, method of construction, and also wet mortar setting. I have an interest in digging mud from the ground.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
The processes he describes have already happened in a home built oven. After initial firing and cooling (at the brick plant), the coefficient of expansion for both fire clay, fire brick, common or even facebrick is very small.
When i made my first oven, i built it with a flue in the centre of the dome and had an arrangement to cope with the expanding inner dome where the flue met the outer shell. The height of the inner dome increased by about 2 mm so i would also assume that the dome diameter at the base would have increased by 4mm. This is more than very small and oven design should allow for this expansion. I believe that if you have a thermal break it should be made of a material that has some elasticity like vermicrete.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=brickie in oz;113505]David youll have to excuse me but you come across as an alarmist.

Dont fire the oven too quickly or itll shock your oven with catastrophic consequences.
Dont dry too quickly as it will all collapse.
The clay will expand too much and cause the oven to explode.
Curing an oven built of firebrick with a fire too quickly will make the moisture in the brick explode the brick.

My apologies if what I have posted is construed as alarmist, it is only proceeding with caution. You exaggerate what I have posted. I have never said any of those things you mentioned. I only want to provide information gained through experience to assist those who want to build their own ovens. I have seen quite a number of failures, including my own mistakes.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
deevex, you are talking about firing wet clay not firing the oven built with firebricks arent you?
Yes Thats where the confusion began.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

David, The amount of thermal expansion is minuscule, but depending upon the shape and design, it can be attenuated (or minimized). As an example, the Bay of Fundy takes a minor tide and attenuates it by multiple of degrees of magnitude.

This is not to say that you should ignore it, it quite the opposite, you need to understand it and design around it. For example, on my barrel vault, both the inner arch and the back wall are lapped slide joints, since those are the points at which the expansion will be exaggerated, and would cause cracking, if not failure if they were hard joints.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I was actually referring to the clay in the mortar which has not been fired
I was under the impression the prescribed fireclay component in homebrew mortar was fired.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
I was under the impression the prescribed fireclay component in homebrew mortar was fired.
Not the stuff I use. it's definitly unfired.

TS regarding the thermal expansion in my little oven, I should have mentioned that it was only 490mm in diam. So the expansion was 0.8%
Old 05-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My apologies to David if I was out of line.