Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Australia (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/)
-   -   A few ovens I saw while on holiday in Tasmania. (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/few-ovens-i-saw-while-holiday-16899.html)

brickie in oz 10-25-2011 01:33 PM

A few ovens I saw while on holiday in Tasmania.

4 Attachment(s)
A few ovens I saw while on holiday in Tasmania.

The first pic is of an oven in Richmond goal it is higher at the back and made from doughy handmade convict bricks, but it still looked usable.
Second and third pics are the entry and flue.

The forth pic is of a renovated oven, Port Arthur.

Lburou 10-25-2011 05:59 PM

Re: A few ovens I saw while on holiday in Tasmania.

Hello Al :)

Intersting. Any pictures of the outside of the ovens or the settings where the ovens are located? How old doyou think they are? Community or personal ovens?

brickie in oz 10-25-2011 06:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lburou (Post 122525)
Hello Al :)

Intersting. Any pictures of the outside of the ovens or the settings where the ovens are located? How old doyou think they are? Community or personal ovens?

The first oven was the goal kitchen oven, it probably fed 20 or so, its only a small goal..
I didnt take any pics of the outside of the buildings unfortunately. :confused:

Faith In Virginia 10-25-2011 07:11 PM

Hay AL,

First a personal question, I did not understand the use of the Pepper in the pepper and tweezers remark. LOL

I'm so envious of your trip to Tasmania, your pictures are great. Thanks for sharing them.

I've never been south of the equator. Think I'll add that to my bucket list.

Les 10-25-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 122515)
The first pic is of an oven in Richmond goal it is higher at the back and made from doughy handmade convict bricks, but it still looked usable.

Looking at that - I think we are all master masons ;)

brickie in oz 10-25-2011 07:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia (Post 122531)
Hay AL,

First a personal question, I did not understand the use of the Pepper in the pepper and tweezers remark. LOL

You sprinkle pepper on the small endowed manhood, when it comes out to sneeze you grab it with the tweezers. :D

Some more pics.

Tasmania was founded for the disposal of Britains convicts, they were first sent to Sydney after America kicked the British out, from Sydney they were sent to Tasmania.
It Hobart and Port Arthur would have been terribly harsh places back in the early 1800,s, its terribly hard country now and you can drive there now.

Weve been a few time now but the quietness always gets us, the city of Hobart is just so quiet compared to Melbourne, and the traffic........there is non. :rolleyes:

brickie in oz 10-25-2011 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Les (Post 122533)
Looking at that - I think we are all master masons ;)

It was all built by convict labour, there would have been bricklayers in the mix for sure but I dont know how many.

A close up of the oven roof, I didnt realize until I saw an enlarged picture but you can see Broad Arrow convict stamps in the bricks. :cool:

It also looks like there was two ovens back to back, I saying that because of the way the roof looks, not too sure if there was or not.