Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Australia (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/)
-   -   Exciting new find - Italian Tipo "00" (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/exciting-new-find-italian-tipo-00-a-14740.html)

heliman 11-10-2010 08:54 PM

Exciting new find - Italian Tipo "00"

1 Attachment(s)
I have just got back from a trip to the supermarket and found an interesting new flour - Top "00" with an 11.5% protein content. Colavita brand (I have heard of their olive oil but not flour). It is probably freely available at other centres around the country and only arrived in sleepy old Perth recently. Cost/kg is $2.99 which is comparable with other similar imports.

I made a biga last night so will use that with this new flour when I make a small batch for a Friday night firing this evening. Will report back on my findings in case anyone is interested.

heliman 11-11-2010 04:27 AM

Re: Exciting new find - Italian Tipo "00"

Just made a quick batch of biga based dough for tomorow. Preliminary results are that it is fantastic. Smooth, silky and quite firm with the higher gluten content. Have three portions sitting on the bench and will give them another hour or so then transfer them to the fridge for an overnight fermentation. Have prepared the fire so only need to "light and go" tomorrow evening after work. Results should be very promising - will report back after doing some tests.

NathanC 11-11-2010 01:19 PM

Which supermarket?

heliman 11-11-2010 01:31 PM

Coles supermarket.

glen 11-12-2010 01:51 AM

wow - at Coles?
we have been using it, but I get it from a specialty chef place. It is our favourite flour at the moment. I'll have to keep an eye out at the local Coles.

heliman 11-12-2010 01:54 AM

Yes indeed - seems like a very good product.

My fire has been going for about an hour so will be putting it to the test very soon...

heliman 11-12-2010 05:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Overall verdict - up there with the best I have used.

Definitely recommended for making a good quality pizza.

nissanneill 11-13-2010 03:00 AM

Hi Rossco,
I had better get the boss to keep her eyes open for it next shopping day.
I need to get back into the oven and use it more.

Neill

GianniFocaccia 11-13-2010 07:32 AM

I hear ya, Neill. Going shopping with the wife every now and then really works wonders.

John

nissanneill 11-13-2010 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a couple of kilos today, put the pics of protein etc. for all to see.
Will be a priority next week with the oven going.

GianniFocaccia
Quote:

I hear ya, Neill. Going shopping with the wife every now and then really works wonders.
I took her down shopping and let her go whilst I went off to finish a paying job. I simply asked her to look out for it and WHALLAH, it's in her shopping bag, what a woman!!!!!

Cheers.

Neill