Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Australia (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/)
-   -   ECO Blocks (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/eco-blocks-15256.html)

OscarA 01-23-2011 08:04 PM

ECO Blocks

Hi Guys/Girls

I'm almost finished my Oven stand and I've started thinking about Eco Blocks that Bunnings sell for insulating the oven floor. I've bought 2 100lt bags of Vermiculite and was going to use that but these Eco Blocks look so much easier to use. I know quite a few ovens have used insulation blocks so basically what I would like to know is who has used Eco Blocks and are you happy with it.
The vermiculite I have wont be wasted as I'll still need it for the oven dome.
I also have 2 sheets of 1" insulation board. I want to lay the Eco blocks on the concrete slab then the insulation boards and finally the cooking floor.
Does anyone see any problems with this.

Oscar

brickie in oz 01-23-2011 08:58 PM

Re: ECO Blocks

Arent they made of polystyrene? :confused:

nissanneill 01-23-2011 10:00 PM

The eco blocks are an alternative to the CSR Hebel block, aerated cement blocks.
I have used them for wall building but not in an oven as an insulator.
Contact the manufacturer and get the specifications for their thermal resistance.
They are very light and soft but should be fine, especially since they are 100mm thick and 400 long by 200 high. Not forgetting that you will have probably 3" firebrick or clay brick as your hearth and cooking floor.
I would be tempted to run full height soldier course and then cut the eco blocks to fit inside them as they will be easy to replace if needed and replaced with 4" vermiculite cement.

Cheers.

Neill

brickie in oz 01-23-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nissanneill (Post 106494)
to fit inside them as they will be easy to replace

After they melt with the heat you mean?

Id be very worried about fumes leaching from the styrene and into my food. :eek:

The Goose 01-24-2011 12:41 AM

Worth a read....

ECO-Block Energy Efficient ICF

:D :D

nissanneill 01-24-2011 01:47 AM

brickie in oz
these blocks to my knowledge (at least the ones that I have bought and used) are aerated concrete, not plastic (styrene nor any other plastic based material). They have at least a 2 hour fire rating and are consequently used to fire separate flats/units/residences.
They are very similar to the MtGambier sawn limestone blocks that were quite popular 30 - 40 years ago in house construction.

Neill

The Goose 01-24-2011 02:01 AM

Still worth a read - eco block = Expanded Polystyrene (EPS)

ECO-Block Energy Efficient ICF

Expanded polystyrene according to Wiki

Expanded polystyrene (EPS) is a rigid and tough, closed-cell foam. It is usually white and made of pre-expanded polystyrene beads. Familiar uses include molded sheets for building insulation and packing material ("peanuts") for cushioning fragile items inside boxes. Sheets are commonly packaged as rigid panels (size 4 by 8 or 2 by 8 feet in the United States), which are also known as "bead-board". Thermal resistivity is usually about 28 mK/W (or R-4 per inch in American customary units). Some EPS boards have a flame spread of less than 25 and a smoke-developed index of less than 450, which means they can be used without a fire barrier (but require a 15 minute thermal barrier) according to US building codes. A growing use of EPS in construction is insulating concrete forms. The density range is about 16640 kg/m3.[4] The most common processing method is thermal cutting with hot wires

david s 01-24-2011 02:45 AM

Hebel would be better because it is just aerated concrete.

OscarA 01-24-2011 03:40 AM

Thanks guys, I'll give them a miss and stick with the proven Vermiculite.
I thought the Eco blocks were aerated concrete but looks like I was wrong.

cobblerdave 01-25-2011 02:44 PM

dear Oscar
Don't like the sound of these eco blocks if they have plastic in them?
Hebel is what I have used in my oven as the under hearth insulation couldn't find a local source of pearlite at that time in the construction. So 50 mm Hebel slabs was what I used. I basically run a row of bricks around the slab then layed the hebel in the shape of the oven on a base of fireclay to get them level. The space in the corners was filled with concrete.
Works?... seems to you can have the oven flashed up for hours and the slabs still cool underneath. I do get a hot spot under the entrance but I'm sure this is caused by moisture and should go away when the ovens not getting rained on for 40 days and 40 nights.
Cost.. had 1/2 the hebel anyway payed maybe $20 bucks for the rest

Regards
Dave