Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Dave_Adelaide_Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_SA View Post
Hi cobblerdave,

I've been a little (or maybe a lot) slack lately and have been dragging my heels.

I still have to source a supplier for the materials and unsure where in SA I can get them all in one hit. I can get the whole lot shipped from Sydney but the freight/logistics may make that difficult.

If anyone has used a local supplier then let me know so I can get this baby moving.

Dave
I can send from melbourne and you get a FREE thermometer and sleeve thrown in. That should alleviate the pain of freight. 0451470371 John
Old 04-09-2011, 02:59 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goose View Post
Cheers Goose, I have called them previously to get a price on their fire bricks but still need to find a supplier for all the other stuff.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:01 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
I can send from melbourne and you get a FREE thermometer and sleeve thrown in. That should alleviate the pain of freight. 0451470371 John
Thanks John. Expect a call during the week.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Laborer

Hi Dave

I noticed your using a lock block - besa block? I too am looking at using this type of block to speed things up, as I will be filling the blocks with concrete anyway. How did you find them? The result looks great.

Bert
Attached Files
File Type: pdf downloads_Lockblock.pdf (262.3 KB, 127 views)
Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Dave_Adelaide_Build

I checked with Littlehampton when I built my Pompeii and they couldn't/wouldn't tell me their composition.
They are also around $5 each although their seconds are more reasonably priced if they have them
They sell far more of their 4" solid fired clay pavers to oven builders and that is the way I would go next time as they are fired at over twice the temp (1200˚C) that you are ever likely to get your oven.
I suggest you contact Thermal Ceramics at 10-14 Toogood Avenue, BEVERLEY PARK, SA, 3305. They have most of what you need.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Hi Dave

I noticed your using a lock block - besa block? I too am looking at using this type of block to speed things up, as I will be filling the blocks with concrete anyway. How did you find them? The result looks great.

Bert
Hi Bert,

I used Boral Connex and found them extremely easy to use. Just draw out the external boundaries of your wall and then start laying. Use a straight edge to ensure the blocks are aligned and a level to ensure they are true. Check the diagonals after each course. If you are going to render the face then accuracy doesn't have to be to the n'th degree however it's always good to start with a flat/true surface.

One thing I did find is that the corner blocks were slightly taller than the middle blocks and therefore after four courses there was a 10mm dip along the top middle of each wall span. This doesn't really matter because when you pour your hearth it hides this dip. Boral suggests using packers/wedges but this is probably overkill if you are rendering the face.

The other thing to note is they are expensive.

Hope this helps

Dave
Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
I checked with Littlehampton when I built my Pompeii and they couldn't/wouldn't tell me their composition.
They are also around $5 each although their seconds are more reasonably priced if they have them
They sell far more of their 4" solid fired clay pavers to oven builders and that is the way I would go next time as they are fired at over twice the temp (1200˚C) that you are ever likely to get your oven.
I suggest you contact Thermal Ceramics at 10-14 Toogood Avenue, BEVERLEY PARK, SA, 3305. They have most of what you need.

Neill
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the heads up. I did call Littlehampton not that long ago and their standard fire bricks are now $6 each and $3.50 for seconds.

I've heard of a few people using solid clay pavers and haven't had any issues. I'm not going to be a professional baker but if I'm going to cut 4 sides of 150 bricks I want to make sure I use the right ones.

I'm sure the solid clays will do the job but I do recall someone saying that it is not just the temperature they were fired at but also the ability to retain heat and the continual heating and cooling that needs to be factored in.

As you have a beautiful WFO in place I will regard your recommendations highly.

I was trying to remember the company at Beverley (Thermal Ceramics) so thanks for their contact details.

Cheers

Dave
Old 04-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Dave_Adelaide_Build

Dave, to put your mind at ease,
read Russell Jeavons' book, "Your brick oven, building it and baking in it" where he shows 5 of his ovens built with pavers and the old 'common red' bricks. He has 2 in his commercial pizza restauant down at Willunga if you want to take a look or see one here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/27/r...ia-1930-2.html (Russell Jeavon's Pizza Restaurant - South Australia)

permalink #16

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 04-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bert,
You can also use standard concrete blocks and use a masonry adhesive like Selleys liquid nails Landscape. Probably a lot cheaper, but you will have to use 8" blocks because the 6" corner blocks are made to factor in the 10mm mortar gap which you won't have with a glueing system.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Interested to here about using brick commons in a WFO
I have a WFO of "lit duty firbricks" of which I'm completed happy with....
But I am to help a mate in the bush to build an oven so i'm on the look out for any other ways of materials and construction as supply and materials are limited by his isolation. Even my time has a limit so we have to have a difinite plan before we start

Watching with interest
Regards
Cobbler dave