Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: cobblerdaves build

Excellent looking Dave, I'm starting to feel really eager to get mine moving
Old 05-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
cobblerdaves build-image.jpg
A bit more progress I'm getting to like the effect more and more. I'm getting to the top of the dome now and the tighter circle has me using alternate 1/2 and 1/4s . Going to have to start cutting some angles on the brick though those gapes are getting bigger. Was a bit worried that the vent plug would not end up in the middle but whichever luck or good management it seem to be true enough. I cannot remember how I actually centred it when I fitted it.
Well back to the tools ..... You can't beat a Brisbane autumn day
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great! Dave'

This might help some. I stayed with halves as long as I could. I used a little "catch up" bat ever so often to help stay on bond. A young brick layer friend of mine laughed about this when he saw me use it on a straight run of a house. I was using different sized old brick. I told him that it will seem right to him when he started thinking of old brick, not as brick, but as stone .

But if you look just above and to the left you'll see where I quit worrying about the bond .
You are right about tapering the top courses. There doesn't seem to be much way around it.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Bricks layed Yes! Really happy with the result but did I boost that everything was straight and going to meet in the middle Da!
cobblerdaves build-image.jpg
Check out just left of middle at the bottom .... See the wedge piece the dome wasn't perfect and I have to fill this in to get back to level. I know its there but I don't have many 7 ft tall guests so Hopefully I'm off the hook?
As for having the mortar joints not lining up .... Today I just wanted it finished so I just let them fall where they did . One thing I did notice I'm bloody sore I forgot what it was like hoping up and down that ladder for two days the back of my legs and my butt hurts.
Well not quite finish .... Three years or so and still counting.. Let that mortar set . Scrub with vinegar and remove the lime scale ... Seal with brick seal , tile.
Bugger ! Still cooks regardless

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-19-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congratulations! Dave, You now have a brick oven .
That same teardrop formed on mine high and next to the chimney. You are right about it being hard to see. And if they do see it, they will think it was meant to be there. I know you are glad to have that done. I like most all oven finishes, but I am partial to brick. It looks great!

Old 05-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Master Builder

Looking good Dave

Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave,

Congrats, no one will ever see the small wedge. They will just marvel at your oven.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Laborer

Dave, that looks fantastic, Wish I had of thought of that.
Cheers
Camo
Old 05-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camori View Post
Dave, that looks fantastic, Wish I had of thought of that.
Cheers
Camo
Gudday
Thanks for the kind words ..... But that's the point I didn't think of it all by myself! Yes there is some brick covered domes which I admired. V-wiz came up with the brick veneer idea and I thought ....YES now I have enough room.
You have to thank James and the forum to allowing us to throw ideas around
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-23-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Serf

Excellent thread Dave. Got a heap out of it. Looking forward to starting my WFO.

Have already downloaded the FB plans, had a read last night. Most likely going to go with 'the flow' and build mine from scratch.