Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Unhappy Re: cobblerdaves build

Gudday
Sorry must have to much cement on my fingers the I phone is not uploading
Regards dave
Attached Thumbnails
cobblerdaves build-image.jpg  

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: cobblerdaves build

HI Dave

I was in Info Tech from 1980 - 2006 and hate anything Apple with a vengeance. It appears that Iphone [proprietry not open] doesn't rotate photos. . No matter I saved it and rotated it for you.

I like that.... looks great Dave what color mortar will you use? I'd almost go with white cement/grout. Woops didn't see the buttress with grey mortar.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-20-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:29 AM
Journeyman

Dave, looks good. What are you using to set the brick veneer? Bruce

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not. ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

CD,

That brick veneers is going to look very nice, amazing how a flat brick can curve . I have been quite enjoying watch the Aussie and New Zealand builds and how creative you guys are with procurring materials and dealing with such high material cost.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Let me introduce to you 2 things that have helped me in building my oven. I have to explain I am actually "masonry impaired".
The first is a pointing trowel it's 1/2 the size of a proper trowel. We're only laying 1/2 bricks so its perfect. The other good thing is the round end is just made for picking up a small piece of mortar to poke into the gape you have missed.
The secound is ordinary vinegar ... Yep the stuff you can steal out of the wife's pantry. An old Italian bricklayer use to say "fingers are for picking noses not playing with the mortar". You and I both know that doesn't happen. I don't pick my nose! But I have been known to get mortar on my hands. And it stings... Pour the vinegar over your lime stung hands and it takes that sting away( sorry still as rough as sandpaper)
Regards dave
Bacterium likes this.

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 04-24-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Apprentice

Dave,

2 great ideas. I wish I new about the vinegar. Didn't seem to matter whether wearing rubber gloves, leather or no gloves, your skin still seems to get affected by the mortar. The number of times my skin peeled during the build - and I still don't have soft and supple skin To think women pay a fortune for having layers of skin removed!!!

Cheers

Craig
Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave, I must say you have staminia, build started in 2010 and you are still going....

Old 04-25-2013, 04:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

CB, I am not saying this with the intent to correct you, but that trowel you have is called a gauging trowel....normally used for plaster. I'm sure you will find the rounded tip helpful when working out a bucket.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: cobblerdaves build

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
CB, I am not saying this with the intent to correct you, but that trowel you have is called a gauging trowel....normally used for plaster. I'm sure you will find the rounded tip helpful when working out a bucket.
Gudday
No problems.....I learned something ......that's always a good thing
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-27-2013, 05:16 AM
Master Builder

Similarly to you Dave I found one of those round nose trowels and found it to be a very good thing. Fell upon it by accident in the best tradition of the novice.

It worked very well for me for getting mortar mixed in a rectangular dish and pushing mortar into joints. The learning curve about how well mortar wears out fingertips was very steep as well, no nose picking involved. Material for Sticky No 1?