Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Canberra 36" change of plans...

I feel like I've cheated please don't hate me

I was hoping to build a 36". Given my lack of experience (Lego being my main construction medium, and not for 20years or so...) I decided to buy a DIY kit. I finished it on the weekend, all in one day which was a great, feel a little cheated though seeing all the awesome ovens and sense of accomplishment that must come with building one from individual bricks. Maybe if I move I will give the oven another go and build from scratch...

I have covered mine with render, after the insulating blanket (Dunlop Acrylic render bought at Bunnings). It has been curing since Saturday and there are a couple of little cracks in it around the place (2-3). Not sure what to do with those, if anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate some input. They're very thin and not too long, maybe 100-200mm long... I'm thinking of giving it a coat or two of concrete water sealant as well.

Here are a few pics. The stand still needs to be finished, I'm thinking whiteish render with some grey tiles for the top...
Attached Thumbnails
Canberra 36" finally started-10.jpg   Canberra 36" finally started-7.jpg   Canberra 36" finally started-4.jpg  

Last edited by mothy; 09-15-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:36 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Canberra 36" finally started

Looks good so far. The cracks in the render will probably not get too serious. I would be inclined to give it some drying time and some more fires before doing anything much. If the cracks are only hairline they will be easy enough to cover.

I finished my dome with Dulux Acratex and it is capable of covering minor imperfections and mine is a grey(ish) colour. It says to age the render for a few weeks before application. That is my weatherproof coat but I have a roof as well.

It will be interesting to watch the progress and the finish from here. Good luck with it.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 09-16-2013, 12:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mothy

It's not about cheating its about the Oven. You did in a day and will be eating pizza shortly.
Well done the oven looks great.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 AM
Peasant

Thanks for the encouragement and input guys
Old 09-16-2013, 06:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mothy,
Your acrylic render is pretty waterproof so it locks moisture in as well as keeping it out. This means you probably need more curing time, assuming you cured the oven after doing the render. You can just go over the cracks with more of the acrylic, but it would probably be prudent to wait for around 10 decent cooking fires before doing this.i'm a bit concerned about the chimney under the roof. Looks like a fire hazard to me.
Dave
Old 09-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Peasant

Hi David and thanks. The roof is very much a temporary measure as we've had a lot of rain here this week. It's a portable marquee and the cover can just slip off for firing the oven until I'm happy with curing and rain proofing...

Cheers,

Tim