Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

7th course finished !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-7th-course-001.jpg   Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-7th-course-003.jpg  
Old 03-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Gudday camo
Was interested in your use of a metal cut off saw to cut your bricks so I visited bunnings to have a look. Also checked out super cheap auto as well.
Checked out the brick saw hire $75 for 4 hrs $110 for the day.
Checked out the tile cutters $200 and 65 mm cut ... A bit to small I'd think.
2 sizes available for the metal cut of saw. An 800 watt with a 150 mm cut .
A 350 mm cut with a 1800 watt motor a ....real monster.
I didn't check out if brick blades were available for the larger but the 150 mm cut were. The cheaply saw was only $69 .
I recon it should be able to cut 200 odd bricks for an oven before expiring of brick dust ingestion. If you get some more work out of it...bonus.
Recon it's a winner for a bloke to build one oven with ....a pro tool it isn't but your not making your living off it.

Regards Dave
Ps I didn't ask for advice it was evening and only the shelf packers were about.

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Laborer

Thanks Dave, the saw is a 2000W using a 355mm blade. It has been great and doing the job. It is a much cheaper option for me than buying or hiring a brick saw.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Laborer

8th course done. As you can see by the photos below and the stuff up I made by turning the bricks on the door arch I now have a "teardrop" hole to close. The dimensions are 160mm wide by 250 long. So now what are my options ??
Really the only thing I can do is shape a couple of bricks putting them at the pointy end and make a 160 dia circle to close or ............
Any other suggestions ????
Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-8th-course-003.jpg

Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-8th-course-004.jpg

Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-8th-course-005.jpg
Old 03-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi CaM

I Would Cut Brick Narrow End To Reform The Circle As You Have Said Or You could Use A Castable Plug If You Aren't Phased By How It Looks From Outside Of The OVen Not That IWould Stick My Head In.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-12-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Apprentice

I also had a bit of "asymmetry" when I completed my bridge over the arch. My teardrop was not quite as elongated as yours but with a few "fancy cuts" I was able to bring it pretty close to round before closing it off.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of this, but if I remember correctly, I cut a cardboard template to provide the shape I needed to bring me back to round. By carefully trimming some bricks I created a crescent moon shaped "semi course" that fit my template and got me pretty close.

I made my "adjustment" on the 8th or 9th course of a 42" build, so I think my "semi course" was made in 2 or 3 pieces. Looks like you could do it with one.

Or you could go with the semi circular/egg shaped closure. There is nothing wrong with that and there is no rule that says all your courses have to be the same thickness. That is, you can cut your bricks to 1/2 thickness if that gives you a little more flexibility to size your keystone or final slug. You could even size it to fit a whole brick (rounded on the edges of course), but that takes some work. Believe me I know, I used a 10" diameter slug to close off my dome and it took almost 3 hours of shaping and trimming to get it right.

I'm sure you'll figure it out. It's pretty hard to get your head inside to look at it once your build is done anyway so I wouldn't worry about the aesthetics too much. "Out of sight out of mind" as they say. Make sure you post some pictures of your solution...you know we all love the pictures...especially closing the dome...it's a great feeling when it's done.

Good Luck
Regards,
AT
Attached Thumbnails
Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-026.jpg   Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-037.jpg   Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-048.jpg  

Last edited by ATK406; 03-13-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

How do you get a teardrop shape using a jig that is fixed in the middle of the oven is what Id like to know?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Laborer

Well I decided to bring back the opening to a circle and here are the results. Looks way out of place but as the missus says "who the hell is going to know if they don't put their head inside." I suppose the thing more important is the food we are going to pull out of it. Anyway I can see the finish of the dome which is a huge relief . Will close this afternoon and celebrate with a bottle of bubbly or something
Attached Thumbnails
Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-closure-004.jpg   Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-closure-002.jpg  
Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Apprentice

Nice work. If you don't mind my saying so it looks a bit like an Easter egg...perfect! You'll be glad when it's done.

You know there's alot of truth to your wife's comment. I even went through the effort to inscribe something into the keystone plug for posterity. I used a burned out old dremel bit and allowed the carbon from the steel to blacken the lettering so it could be seen....Don't you know it can only be seen after the dome clears at about 800F....and nobody's going to put their head into that inferno. The rest of the time the dome is pitch black. Oh well at least I took a picture.

Enjoy your "closing ceremony" and a well deserved drink.

AT

Last edited by ATK406; 03-19-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 AM
Laborer

Thanks AT for the encouragement - Yes the dome is now closed That was some job Now to move onto the entrance and chimney
Attached Thumbnails
Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-closure-010.jpg   Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-dome-finshed-001.jpg