Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Thx Dave best info I have found re damp course. Hebel people ummmed and arrrrd, were my to sure, but will go with what you have said

Cheers guys
Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Laborer

Well guys after a little lay off I thought I better give a bit of an update on the progress. Got three sheets of ceramic fibre board from the local supplier Total Refractory Management, they sell two sizes 900 x 600 and 1000 x 500 both at $50 a sheet. Hope the expense is worth it but as everyone on here says you can never have enough insulation. They also sell the blanket as well 600 wide either 25mm or 50mm thick at $128 per roll
Anyway let me tell you this CF board is soooo soft and you need to handle it with kid gloves. After marking out the shape of the oven I cut it with a jigsaw which was no problem at all. So tomorrow I plan to mortar the CF board in so it is nice and level and flat to lay the bricks on
Attached Thumbnails
Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-pizza-oven-005.jpg   Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-pizza-oven-002.jpg  
Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Master Builder

Hi Camori,

Save your scrapes for an insulated oven door.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Laborer

Today I decided to get all the supplies ready so took a ride out to Ipswich (Claypave) to pick up the fire bricks. Decided on the 75mm thick @ $3.50 ea
(27% alumina content)- got a hundred which is under what i need I think but a this price don't want to have any left over. Got a bag of fire clay as well. I read on the forum that the fire bricks are heavy but I really was surprised how heavy they were. Now I'm wondering if I have reinfrced the stand enough !!

Then off to Bunnings to get the cement, lime and sand. I plan on using the poor mans mix of 1 part cement.1 part lime.1 part fire clay .3 parts sand that is recommended by everyone here. Couldn't believe how many varieties there are of sand (Double washed, tilers, sand gap, riversand, course sand and more) Got the course sand and off white cement - full steam ahead - I really think I'm going to enjoy this build.
Attached Thumbnails
Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-pizza-oven006.jpg   Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-pizza-oven-004.jpg  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Laborer

Thanks Laurentius, still researching the door but yes I have put them aside as I'm sure they wiill get used somewhere. Not that much left though. I was planning on doing a trial run with a small bit of CF board and hebel brick tomorrow to see how the mortar will work as I think both pieces will suck the water out of it
Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 AM
Serf

seems we're travelling the same roads. i picked up CF boards from same place, plan on using the leftovers for my oven doors, and been out to Dinmore twice now for firebricks. gladly done with them now with just about 0.5 leftover but my current challenge is the oven doors. Can i ask you where you got your hebel from? My bunnings only had Eco block in 800x200x200 size which isnt very convenient for insulating a small oven door.

Also, your storage doors under your WFO and BBQ, are they just plywood with alum angle edging? how are they holding up to the elements?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Laborer

Well Harro, was in Bunning today at Cannon Hill and they had them on special (75 and 100mm) for a dollar each - they must be getting out of being their supplier. if that is too far away there is a supplier at Salibury however I think the CF board would be better as it will be much lighter
The doors are made of stained ply wrapped in an aluminium c section- I coated them with a marine grade sealer - can't remember the name - over two years ago and haven't touched then since but they'll probably need another coat soon.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
You can get 50mm hebel from Salisbury but if you use the thicker stuff from bunnings clamp a couple of pieces of wood to the sides and rip it thinner with a hand saw. You can shape with a rasp cut with a chisel sand it wouldn't use power tools though .....to dusty

Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Before I forget cut a deep revel so the largest mass fits into the oven entrance that way you get a good seal to keep the heat in and away from any wood metal handles etc

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-17-2012, 03:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Camo
you have brick fire clay etc so I recon about now you have been playing at least with your new toys and perhaps have a floor down already.
A coupla things your going to discover apart from the weight of the bricks if your cutting them dry there pretty dusty. So if you doing the angle grinder and bulster thing drop them in a bucket of water for a min or two to minimise the dust. they'll make the water fiz like soda ...amazing how something so heavy could contain so much air.
Also what i found as a mug bricklayer only having a small batch of mortar gave you plenty of time to "play" and learn. Used a 10 litre bucket and mixed 1/4 of that with a paint stirrer on an electric drill.
Its great mortar the poor mans mortar....the firclay give you a good "slip" and heaps easier to use than plain mortar. Make it fairly "wet" so you can squish those bricks into position the first time....to dry and its to hard to position and you can't move them again it breaks the bond.
Wheathers to remain dry so I recon its full steam ahead you'll have a dome in no time

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door