Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Gudday Camo
Quote:
Well I have had a couple of days off and threw myself at the stand. I have deliberated long and hard whether to continue with the hebel brick and in the end decided to stick with it as the position will be good and didn't want to destroy all the hard work I had done previously
I reinforced under the stand to make sure it wll take the weight and then lengthened it.
Length now is 1500 x 1500 (5' x 5') which should be ample for a 36" WFO
I am not worried that this stand will not take the weight however I am planning on putting a 50mm ceramic fibre board underneath the hearth and then using 60 or 65 mm thick heat bricks.
My issue is how hot would it get underneath the CF board as I am afraid that too much heat may make the hebel brick brittle over time ?? Any thoughts anyone ????
I could possibly go 75mm on the CF board or even 75mm on the heat bricks
Camo I have hebel directly under the hearth as insulation ..2years on no probs. But I think you are going down the right and cautious path by using the ceramic to take the main heat. 50mm is more than enough I think 75 mm is perhaps a little too much.
1500 is big enough for a 36 in (900mm) because you'll have 12 in ( 300mm) either side of the hearth. 4 1/2 in (116 mm)1/2 brick dome leavinf 7 ins (184 mm) for insulation, dome? enclosure?
By the way fire brick from Dinmore are 115 x 75 x 232 mm

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Laborer

Dave, contacted Claypave at Dinmore the other day and they said they do heat bricks in 50, 60, 65 and 75mm thickness all at the same price $3.50 ea.
Bricks are as you say 115 x 230mm
What would be the pro's and con's between a 60 and 75 mm ??
I would have thought that a 60mm heat brick would have heated up quicker therefore using less wood but also losing the heat quicker
Old 09-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday camo
That's interesting I didn't remember that dinmore made different thicknesses.
I really don,t see to much difference between 60 and 75.
from what I have read most of the Formo ovens take about 1 &F 1/2 hours to get to full pizza heat same as mine. That's regardless of size . The size of the oven will determine you wood usage. I wouldnt go to thin on the floor however cause the walls are are 115 mm(1/2 brick) Thick. You would probably notice the difference in heat retention then.
I layed the floor 75mm thick not the 115 way because I didn't see myself needing a higher mass for extended bread making etc. the oven works well for me with enough heat next day for a roast to be cooked. you don't need to bring it to pizza heat either if you want to cook other things a smaller fire and burning time will do.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camori View Post
What would be the pro's and con's between a 60 and 75 mm ??
I would have thought that a 60mm heat brick would have heated up quicker therefore using less wood but also losing the heat quicker
I used 75mm - I would use 75mm on the floor - Yes it will take more wood to heat a 75mm vs 60mm floor but you have more mass to hold more heat at no extra cost. If you use 75mm on the walls you actually should use slightly less bricks than using 60mm, so it will be cheaper in the end. If you cut the bricks in half length ways as per the pompeii plans... then each course of the dome will be 75mm high. That is what I did and it worked fine - I did a template of the bricks so I could get the dome curve right to create the desired dome height.

Brett
Old 09-18-2012, 04:15 AM
Laborer

Thanks Guys, I have decided to go with the 75mm heat bricks. So the base of the pizza oven will be the stand made out of 75mm hebel, then 50mm ceramic fibre board and then 75mm heat bricks. Should be ample insulation. Actually the stand turned out a little low at 880mm (approx 35") high so overall the oven base height is going to be 1025mm (approx 40 1/2") Still low by all the other blogs on this site who recommend 44" or more but I think it will be OK. Have to take it slow for the next month as the better half has gone back to the mother country and left me with the kids and everything else.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hi camo

will be interested in following your build. I too am looking at hebel base and hearth structure. I'm curious are you looking at/or have used hebel panel or hebel fence panel in the hearth? difference being double reinforcing layer in the fence panel.
are going to be way ahead of me "new build in werribee" as i have a bit of other work to do prior to getting to the base concrete slab.

So i will be watching your build with great interest.

cheers Colin
You
Old 09-20-2012, 04:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

quick couple of questions.... how did you hebel users out there finish it?. Did you do anything with it under the oven base? I have been told that at the first course level it needs a damp course layer? or have users cemented it direct to base slab?

Cheers Colin
Old 09-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Laborer

Hi Colin, I used Hebel as it was a continuation of the outdoor area I had already built. I've built the base using plain 600 x 200 x 75 or 100 thick blocks and used the Hebel panel 1200 x 600 x 75 for the top. It's easy to use as you can cut them with a wood saw and mortor or even liquidnail them in place. You get a nice flat surface which you can tile straight to the block and I also used a render I got from Bunnings and applied it straight to the blocks. I just find the whole process clean & easy although with their last price rise I dont think it has turned out any cheaper.
To answer your second question I plan to use a 50mm CF board as insulation between the Hebel base and oven floor heat bricks. Will be interesting after the build to see how hot the hebel will get underneath.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
quick couple of questions.... how did you hebel users out there finish it?. Did you do anything with it under the oven base? I have been told that at the first course level it needs a damp course layer? or have users cemented it direct to base slab?

Cheers Colin
Gudday Colin
Re Damp course this should be layed under your base so the whole structure is protected, base stand and oven. A damp course under the first course is then a bonus. Builders plastic can be purchased in small lenghts to suit smaller projects yes bunnings has these.

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

where I mentioned under the oven base. I was referring to. do you put the calsil board, directly on the hebel panel hearth out do you great it first, ie seal the panel, and is the calsil board fixed to the panel if so using what.

My build at standstill as I have some infrastructure work to do first. But watching your build with great interest.

Cheers guys.