Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

You will need a metal peel for turning the pizzas in the oven.

I looked at making a decent peel for placing pizzas in the oven as I wanted something that wasn't pine or bamboo. Ended up buying this one online from Kitchenware Direct. $33 for hardwood.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Just for those who want to make thier own.....
If its just pine or ply or a favored piece of hardwood you sand and sand but as soon as you use it .... It gets a bit rougher than you first felt.
Sand it up to 180 grit and it feels smooth to your hand. Stop. Take a damp cloth and wipe it 3 times washing the cloth out each time. Let the wood dry out of the sun. Feel it again. Rough heh.
What happens is the sandings pack in the cells of the wood and the pieces of end grain are forced flat. Wetting them lets the end grain come up and the sandings are forced out of the cell structure.
It's not like metal .... Use a finer and finer grade of paper will not do.
What you have to use at this point is 000 grade steel wool. ( even bunnings sell it)
What is does it acts like a miny plane and cuts the end pieces off.
So it's a combination of wetting and then sanding with the fine grade steel wool so you get that silky smooth and perminate finish.
If a piece of hardwood should come my way........until then the bamboo special is very good enough
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Peasant

Hmm. Nice tip on the steel wool Dave. I'll give that a crack. Here's a pic of the peel I made out of Alpine Ash a few months back. Dry then wet sanded to about 240grit. I finished it with a few coats of woodwipe (tung nut and orange oil). But it was still not as smooth as it could've been and subsequently the pizzas need a reasonable bit of polenta to slide off. Wonder whether I should've sanded between oil coats as well?
Attached Thumbnails
Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-peel-1-.jpg  
Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Peasant

Oh, and took about 2-3hrs to make it from scratch. Picked up a slab of Alpine Ash for about $20 which I'll get 4 peels out of
Old 06-17-2013, 03:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Dan
That's one pretty piece of wood and your peels sweet!
I wouldn't oil it thought leave it dry. I know the oil brings out the colour but given time the wood will darken and gain character without a finish. You'll find you pizza won't stick either
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-17-2013, 04:03 AM
Peasant

font of knowledge you are Dave!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Address for the peel
Hospitality super store 102 brunswich st fotitude valley
Regards fave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-25-2013, 01:57 AM
Laborer

Thanks for the info Dave, Legendary I picked up one on the net, actually an alu one/wood handle, 1300 long from the Sunshine coast. Had a mate pick it up for $30 cash. We'll see how it goes

Anyway I've had a couple of weeks off putting in a new kitchen and worked on the oven a bit more. Added a new decorative arch and some stone work on the chimney.
On the crack side of things, All I can see after the oven cleaned itself at 500 degrees is one small crack I pointed out before and one in the front arch. Tried to patch that arch one up but really to no avail - it just craked through the decorative arch. So I'm just going to leave

I am really happy with the insulation. The inside top bricks are getting to 500 - 550 degrees celcuis and I can put my hand directly above it on the outside and the vermiculite/perlite layer is cold, not even luke warm.

Cooked our first pizza the other night - Lengendary - All that hard work, sweat and tears were finally worth it. A huge sense of relief when that pizza came out.
Now onto the door so I can throw a roast in there and start on bread
Attached Thumbnails
Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-pizza-001.jpg   Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-pizza-027.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Is that pizza supposed to be heart shaped? You old romantic you....
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Laborer

Well guys - The oven is finished (except the door)
I finished it approx 2 months ago but due to problems with camera and computer wasn't able to update.
Anyway it didn't turn out too bad with all the stuff ups I've had along the way. But who would know now. I used the Dulux medium texture as the final coat put on with a roller which covered all the bumps and flat spots on the outer layer. Added bonus is its waterproof as well - a little expensive but gives the desired look.

The oven ended up cracking with about 4 hairline cracks going half way up the inside of the dome with one going right to the top.
I don't really care as the oven will never fall over and the pizzas are fantastic. I run the oven at 500 to 550 degrees and we are pulling pizzas out in one minute ten to one minute thirty.
We've had a few people over for the "pizza Party" a few times cooking sometimes upto 50+ a night. We try a do all the unusual types of pizza toppings and as the wife is Italian we don't lack in immagination - Anyway I recommend my favorite gratted zucchini and gorgonzola absolutely superb. Still can't get them round though but I don't care as it adds to that rustic look.
Anyway the main point of this last update was to thank everyone on this site and especially Forna Bravo for hosting it. Without this site I'm sure my oven would have been a right disaster and I'm still using it as a resource, now for cooking.
When ever we have friends around they all want one but I just point them to this site and recommend Forno Bravo ovens

Anyway Cheers
Camo
Attached Thumbnails
Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-pizza-oven-completed-001.jpg   Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-pizza-oven-completed-002.jpg   Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-pizza-oven-completed-003.jpg   Camo's new 36" build Brisbane-pizza-oven-completed-004.jpg  

Last edited by Camori; 10-30-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: to add two phots