Old 10-10-2013, 06:59 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane

1_from the bridge showing more of the site;2_the oven now covered at the back with the vermiculite/perlite mix;3_the chimney area at the same time with blanket still exposed;4_oven completely covered with verm/perlite mix
Attached Thumbnails
Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6673.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6674.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6675.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6676.jpg  
Old 10-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Peasant

Getting near the end: 1_Oven ready for the final render: 2_This shows the first render (about 20mm thick) followed by what Dunlop called the "Fine Render" of about 1 to 2 mm thick;3_Applying the final render _btw as much as I tried to achieve a smooth finish, the best advice was to follow-up after a while with a wet sponge which eliminated those trowel edge markes and generally smoothed out the area; 4-another shot of the the bridge location with lights set for final check pre-wedding
Attached Thumbnails
Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6703.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6704.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6716.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6718.jpg  
Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Peasant

Final posting for now:1_final oven next day without chimney;2_ ditto but with a small fire experiment (I had put thermocouples (Jaycar purchases at $10-$13) in a few areas above door in oven (expecting this is the firing temp) as well as below the hearth bricks and below the bottom insulation; 3_WE then placed the chimney through the roof and fixed it vertical and then I could work out the final grinding of two firebricks to allow the chimney down the final depth but also sit on a less ground out rim that supported the chimney. mortared the final two bricks in place around the chimney; and packed up all the brick saw, and bags of paraphernalia. Done. Photos of final product in service to still to come. 4_photo of overall site lighting night before wedding. Shed area encompassing oven in middle distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6726.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6727.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6733.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6736.jpg  
Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congrats on the first fire and completing the oven. What a nice view from your oven to the lake.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well done Tom pizza soon. I agree with Russell great outlook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Master Builder

Hey Tom - Your oven looks good and it fits well into your surroundings. I downloaded the Cookbook from the FB Store and it has plenty of good info in it. I have been using the Pizza Dough by Weight recipe from the forum and it works well. It is the same as Dave's, simple and good. The thing I found useful was to have a look at the tutorials on YouTube on stretching the dough. The end product improved greatly for the effort. How To Hand Slap Pizza Crust - YouTube

Capsicums are aplenty here at the moment and I made some sauce from capsicum grilled in the forno, passata, fresh chilli, garlic, fresh ginger and Italian Herbs all blended together. It made an interesting sauce for a base and the more chilli the more interesting it got!

The river has been a bit quiet but with the warm weather the crabs and prawns should be around soon. There are a few Blue Salmon to be had and it was a cracker Bream season with a lot of 35cm + fish.

The bream cooked whole in the forno come up very well.

Enjoy your forno & good luck with the dough slapping.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics