Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooky Tom View Post
Sounds grim to pull it down. I'll proceed and hope for the best.
Cool, dont forget that it will off gas for years, when your teeth and hair start to fall out youll know why.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You have what looks like 2" cal sil and 4" vermicrete between your floor and your bitumen layer. That is plenty to stop all heat from getting to it. Take a look at the link, which provides more links on bitumen info. Most of the planet is covered with bitumen roads.it's a natural substance that has been used for centuries.i'd like to know if there's any evidence that it causes hair and teeth to fall out.

Bitumen - A Smelly but Useful Material of Interest

Last edited by david s; 07-23-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Make an informed decision, I wouldnt risk my families health.

Off-Gassing: Modified Bitumen Fumes | Foam Roofing

Asphalt

https://www.google.com.au/#sclient=p...w=1280&bih=855

Old 07-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks,
Good find.
It's a bit hard to avoid bitumen roads though. Maybe go bush where the roads are only gravel.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Thanks,
Good find.
It's a bit hard to avoid bitumen roads though. Maybe go bush where the roads are only gravel.
David you have lost the plot my friend, we are here to help ppl not harm them with our advise.
Why risk your or anyone's health just to prove a point?
The bitumen that is painted on the concrete hearth is in an enclosed area (the oven), it will off gas there is no scientific dispute on this.
Depending on the product it may or may not cause cancer, and yet you say its ok to use?

The bitumen is buried under whatever thickness of insulation so what, the off gasses will still come out and find their way into the oven and the food, even more so when the oven is heated up, also dont forget the insulation will get warm to hot underneath.

Why risk it?
David, I bet you wouldnt risk it, yet here you are telling someone else to risk it and all will be fine.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 07-24-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Brooky Tom, Im done with this thread, unsubscribing now.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
David you have lost the plot my friend, we are here to help ppl not harm them with our advise.
Why risk your or anyone's health just to prove a point?
The bitumen that is painted on the concrete hearth is in an enclosed area (the oven), it will off gas there is no scientific dispute on this.
Depending on the product it may or may not cause cancer, and yet you say its ok to use?

The bitumen is buried under whatever thickness of insulation so what, the off gasses will still come out and find their way into the oven and the food, even more so when the oven is heated up, also dont forget the insulation will get warm to hot underneath.

Why risk it?
David, I bet you wouldnt risk it, yet here you are telling someone else to risk it and all will be fine.
Al,
If you re-read my posts you will see that I was only referring to the heat affecting the bitumen. I acknowledged the evidence you supplied and thanked you for providing it. Maybe it's not too safe.

Last edited by david s; 07-24-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Exclamation Re: Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane

Gudday
Refer to Brooky Toms post No 38 pic no 2
bitumus sealer then a layer of builders plastic
Tom no fumes are getting through that plastic, and then you have more layers of insulation than you could possibly imagine, heat is not an issue here.
Please note No internet reference were used in the production of this post
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Peasant

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advices and the concerns. As recently mentioned the seal is covered by a plastic layer which I thought would have prevented any off gases to enter the oven. Nevertheless I will be concerned and will try to set monitors for the temperature in that area. And any signs or concerns I will pull the pin.
Thanks again to all contributors.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:56 AM
Peasant

Been a while but been busy setting up the area for my son's wedding. Did finish off the oven and will post photos once I get organised again. Hopefully soon.