Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane

This shows the hearth area complete with the ply floor and IT, and then a couple of photos around the third course
Attached Thumbnails
Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6442.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6452.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6453.jpg  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

In searing summer heat the bitumen on roads tends to melt, way to hot to stand on in bare feet. But as yours is under your 4" of vermicrete slab it will be well away and insulated from the heat. I'm sure you won't have any dramas.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 AM
Peasant

Next photos - following other advices I inserted some screws into the bottom layer mortar to help tie down the insulating blanket later. Can also see the calcite sheets below the hearth - 2 layers of 25mm each. Vermiculite/perlite layer below these.
Around the 3rd and 4th course, I tried to tie the arch bricks into the oven course bricks as much as possible. Photos show some of those interaction bricks.
Attached Thumbnails
Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6448.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-brick.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6472.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6475.jpg  
Old 07-22-2013, 05:36 AM
Peasant

next photos show part way through the 5th course; and then when finished this course and the inner arch.
Attached Thumbnails
Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6500.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6502.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6503.jpg  
Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 AM
Peasant

At this stage we removed the IT and decided to fill the oven with sand as the support for the upper layers. It was reasonably convenient as the back half is at ground level and it was easy to shovel the sand from a barrow into the oven. Photos show the oven with a central gauge inserted and then with the mound of sand. I found I had to top up the sand after each course as the brick layer just completed would have its upper (inward) edge above the sand level slightly. We have a height restriction (shed guttering) for the oven so we were keen to keep to the originally planned height and it worked out OK.
Last photo is the 6th course completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6507.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6508.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6510.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp6512.jpg  
Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 AM
Peasant

In thinking ahead to the heat curing, I see recommendations to start with low heat and preferably fan heaters etc. Can I ask if the heat curing is usually done with or without the insulating blanket?
Also, I still have to construct the landing arch and flue etc but do people cure the oven; and add the insulating layers to the oven etc prior to the outer arch work? Getting my heat break ready might slow me down for the outer arch but I thought I could start on the heating and insulation of the oven build now if that was to work?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

There are two schools of thought re curing before or after insulation and pros and cons for both ways.Curing without the insulation in place will drive the moisture off faster, but it will be more uneven. There will be a huge difference in temp between the inner and outer surfaces of the dome, which leads to uneven thermal expansion, stresses and possible cracking. Curing with the insulation in place will be slower, but will keep the temperature far more even. Unfortunately if you already have the blanket on you won't be able to easily inspect the exterior of the dome for cracking. If you have vermicrete insulation in addition then it's pretty important to dry this layer before making the outer shell (if building an igloo) otherwise you risk cracking the outer shell from steam expansion. I prefer to drive the moisture out with insulation in place.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Peasant

Thanks David. I think I'll just use a heater at this stage while I do other things; and then put the insulation in place prior to any fire. I am planning the igloo shape and have bought the render but won't apply until after the curing. Can I assume OK to apply the vermicrete layer over the insulation blanket prior to firing?
With the render I have bought Dunlop acrylic render and Dunlop fine render. I gather from reading the instructions that the acrylic is for thicker applications and then the fine render is used for a final few mm thick application. Any contrary thoughts appreciated.
But I wait until moisture driven out before the render applications; and hopefully also after I have completed the landing arch/tunnel and flue arrangement.
Another question. I had intended that the landing arch be one brick length long (230mm) but I saw one thread which seemed to be a brick and a half? Any comments?
I plan to house a 150mm SS flue inside a firebrick mount just above the outer arch/tunnel. I was going to have the edge of the SS flue in line with the outer edge of the inner arch. But then I also intend a 25mm wide heat break (using SS channel) between arches so now I am unsure of that detail where the heat break intersects the chimney gap. I suspect I should place some form of firebrick separating the heat break from the space where the smoke rises up the chimney. Maybe a 25mm thick brick running across the outer arch gap? Or else, seeing the chimney area is an air gap in itself, stop the heat break SS where the outer arch bricks stop being full length. The latter is probably simpler and will mean I can keep the SS chimney flue right up against the inner arch edge.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Peasant

Another quick question. I plan a reveal of 30mm. But I assumed that the floor was at a constant level, that is it was level right through from the landing to the oven. This means the door will not have a lip to sit up against on the base like it does elsewhere. Is this the norm? Or do some people build the landing lower than the oven floor? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Brooky Tom,

There is a new thread on doors by DJ. It shows quite a few different doors and I believe most all sit on a flat entry. Take a look.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/s...tml#post157363 (Show us your Door Thread)

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.