Old 05-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane

Well not as inviting photos as Steve's (Bundaberg?) mud crabs, but I said I'd upload some photos at this stage of the build: 44 the overall site 43 showing the shelter building. I referred earlier to the steep slope on the roof and the oven will be at the back - half under the shelter and half outside; 57 photo taken from inside the shelter of the slab (formwork still in place) 56 the outside portion of the slab on ground (inside the slab is a bench); 65 the second hand flue I bought.Plan to use the rest for a fireplace chimney.
Attached Thumbnails
Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp5244.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp5243.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp5257.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp5256.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp5267.jpg  

Old 05-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Peasant

Sorry - last posting photo (last one) was the purchases for the I Tool; then these photos are the flue; and 62 a photo of the slab again with chalk roughly outlining where the oven landing will be and a tape about 780mm high where the centre of the oven will be; hence tight for height and may need to flatten the oven sphere somewhat.
Attached Thumbnails
Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp5265.jpg   Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imgp5262.jpg  
Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Peasant

I have communicated with Steve (Redlands) and observed Colin (Werribee). A question (among many) I have is - do people use rectangular bricks (cut as appropriate) or do they ever use tapered bricks (side arch in claypave language)
Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Tom

Most use rectangular bricks from what I have researched on this site. As you might have noticed, I am using arch bricks [not sure if side arch is the same]. My WFO is 40 inch and the combination of arch bricks in the photo below provides a lower height 40 inch WFO. SO far with my build it is almost exact [to the photo] to the point I will need to cut the rectangular Brick on course 10 down by a 1/3, so I end up with a reasonable size key I noticed on the other thread you were talking about hearth. Mine is 1700 by 1600 I have 17cm at the rear and 19cm" at the sides left for insulation and render.

I will be putting about 30mm - 40mm of shiralite over the dome, 75mm ceramic blanket [3 layers of 25mm], followed by 30mm-50mm of render and then a finishing layer 2-3mm of spray on granite as waterproofing.

Hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails
Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane-imag0542.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-27-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Peasant

Thanks for al the good advices. I'm gradually getting my mind sorted on this as I read responses and more of the previous builds. I have numerous questions in my mind but might be best to knock them off one at a time.
In reading discussions on water avoidance, I realized I have already missed an opportunity. My concrete slab is half under cover, half outside. The back half is outside and poured on ground. However I didn't lay any builders plastic under the concrete pour (despite having acres of the stuff from the other work I have been doing). Is this likely to be a problem with rising damp through the 125mm slab into the calsil next layer? The area is not going to have any groundwater lying around it.
Second query on drainage is that I purposely sloped the slab from inside to outside so that rainwater around the non-oven part of the slab would not run forward into the sheltered area. Level difference about 10mm front to back. To get a level (same height all over oven floor) I will need to correct that height difference with something either under the calsil or between calsil and hearth bricks. I will use fireclay and sand as a base for the hearth bricks but 10mm sounds too much maybe?
I could put a mortar mix on the slab under where the oven is to go to get up to level before the calsil? And if I did should I put in some sealing additive to address the potential rising damp? Thanks again for interest.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tom,
I see that you are on the right track. How about placing the plastic and/or sealer on top of your structural hearth. To level things up a v/pcrete layer could be poured on top of that. It doesn't have to be very thick, but any thickness you choose will add to your floor insulation factor .

Very beautiful place by the way!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Tom
That height difference can be taken care of in the first layer of block by using a thicker layer of mortar at the low piece. I would hate trying to lay the block out off level better to sort it out early and easy
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-29-2013, 04:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Red face Re: Brooky Tom's 900mm build Brisbane

Gudday Tom
Sorry amend what I have said your working of our hearth slab, but the advice is still the same do a mortar pad to give yourself level area to put your insulation on layer of plastic like gulf said.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 AM
Peasant

Thanks Dave and Gulf, and to confirm, you suggest I lay the builders plastic sheet on the "sitting on ground" portion of the slab, and lay a thin layer of mortar over that and the bench area to create a circular level area on which to place the calsil. From there on up, I will have a level base. My. Only concern with that had been the likely temperature effect on the plastic; but at this stage I have little idea of the temperature profile. I also have some bitumen paint I used on the back retaining walls that I could paint on the slab?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Tom
It's a case of "have to" with the damp proving. And I'm thinking that Gulfs plan of a couple of ins of pearlite cement is sounding the best option. Whilst I am sure that the cal sil will dissipate the heat you can never have to much insulation.
On the plastic sheet V bituminous paint ... Use both, you have both it not like you have to buy more. A layer of sticky bituminous paint sounds like a good glue to set your plastic in to me.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door