Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Best aussie wood???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Hi guys,

I find that the best oven wood is falled grey box from the forest floor. If you can get it just as the white ants are starting to munch it is fantastic. I use redgum sleeper offcuts also but I find them not hot enough and very smoky. They leave the least mess of all the hardwoods though. I wont't use pallets but if I see an old hardwood fence being pulled down better not get in my way because old semi rotten wood is best by far
be very careful using sleepers or fence pailings as they can be treated and can get you pretty crook if burnt

if theres a trussplant near you? you can usualy get timber offcuts for free in summer hardwood is pretty easy to get but winter the guys keep it for firewood

theres always prenty off pine for kindeling just keep away from treated
Old 11-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Serf

Hi All, has anyone used Black Wattle?
I'm told it's pretty plentiful over here on the East Coast and that it burns extremely hot.
Any thoughts.
Nod
Old 11-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Laborer

you can use just about any wood just dont use traeted fence painlings or sleepers also old railway sleepers are great nurners but they sometime get coated in oil to treat them
Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi all
Flashed up the oven this arvo to cook a couple of chooks and as the fire burnt I thought to myself what about the fronds off the Golden cane, would it burn?
Burn...... those puppies go up like a bomb! When you live with those things dropping fronds all the time this is the Best thing in the world to get rid of them. so I spent 1/2 hour cutting them into WFO lenghts and feeding them in.
Not a primary source of fuel but a great way to get rid of them usefully.

Regards Dave
Old 01-05-2011, 03:24 AM
Laborer

A mate of mine has 50 acres of black wattle, a bit of gum ( what sort I dunno) and termite mounds. I left the termite mounds, but today I fired up with whatever I found that didn't have too many termites in it. The dome got white, and it didn't smoke any more than usual on the start up and was a hell of a lot easier cutting up wrist thick diameter branches than having to split big blocks of firewood.

Considering it costs about $100 around here for a load of unidentified mystery hardwood firewood, Ima gonna keep going with the black wattle/gum.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:08 AM
Serf

Anybody tried adding a bag of heat beads to your fire?? I have had a couple of goes, I really think it keeps a very good consistent heat, and heats the dome up fast,
I still use wood as well,
Cheers Gary.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great find!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangi Dude View Post
I feel like I am very lucky as I have just found a constant supply of dry hard wood.
There is a wood turning business just 2km down the road that make handles for tools such as axes, spades, picks etc and they only use Spotted Gum. Spotted Gum is a hard wood that is dence, heavily grained and burns nice and hot. The business has a lot of off cuts free for the taking so I got a trailor load Friday and it really burns well.

Cheers Doug
I might be a bit lucky in where I live too. Alot of farms around here still have a lot of BIG old red gums that drop a limb every now & then. The bigger stuff is perfect for inside after splitting, small I find is already dried and perfect for the oven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Thats the thing about Aussie hardwood thats a tree fall....you only get what the termite can not eat.....so you end up with the hard best burning bit.

regards Dave
Old 11-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Around almost all eucalypt trees you'll find fallen sticks and branches. They are not as dense as the heart wood but so easy to break up.I find this kind of wood excellent for keeping the "fire on the side" going. Pre heated in the oven entry they will catch fire almost immediately.