Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: It begins

Oscar, a whole circus of elephants could dance on that slab when it cures and all will be well

Glad you made it without a heart attack

Rent or borrow or buy cement float or a finish trowel if you are worried about looks....Most of your small defects will be covered or out of sight....It will be fine.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: It begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Now let it sit for an hour be patient the cemmical reaction is starting to take place not drying out like ya think.
Only if retardant has been added, without retardant and the correct water ratio the concrete should be untrowelable after about half an hour.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-09-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Apprentice

Hi guys thanks for the encouraging words and tips.
The floating slab should be easier to pour as it's only 1/2 the size. This time I will wait until the the weather is fine. The problem with Saturday was I thought I could have it finished by 12 or 1 before the heat really kicks in but boy did I underestimate the job and the amount of concrete needed.
Finding this site before my build is a blessing, I don't think I would have even bothered attempting this without the guidance this site provides through everyones helpful input.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear Oscar
Lburor is right you could park a bunch of elephants on that slab without a worry. I'm sorry for my rather long winded naritive I should not have written a bloody thing as I had been at a neighbours drinking beer and solving the problems of the world. Should have said a thing and I'm glad you didn't seem to take offence...
Regards Dave
Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Apprentice

No offense taken Dave. I appreciate the advise and take everything on board. I have very little experience with concrete and made quite a few mistakes the other day that wont be repeated next time.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Apprentice

Ok time for pics more pics.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Apprentice

Today I finished the stand after waiting and waiting for the right day.
It's been either to hot or to wet but today was perfect, well almost just a little shower here and there.

Almost at the fun part now.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fine looking slab and stand.
like the idea of the smaller multiple Bays for storage.
If I had to build another I'd use your idea... one big space under the slab doesn't work well, you have to crawl in to stow the wood and crawl in to get it out again
Regards
Cobbler dave
Old 02-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
If I had to build another I'd use your idea... one big space under the slab doesn't work well, you have to crawl in to stow the wood and crawl in to get it out again
Regards
Cobbler dave
I agree with you 100%, wish there was a way to retrofit a partition in mine...

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Apprentice

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
I am glad you used that rebar it will hold up well.
Make sure you let it cure well before you remove the supports
Doug I did end up using rebar as you suggested so I'll have to find another use for that mesh or perhaps another oven builder in Melbourne will like it. I will try and keep the slab wet for the first week or two and leave the supports on for at least a month.

Quote:
If I had to build another I'd use your idea... one big space under the slab doesn't work well
Thanks Dave, I spent weeks thinking about the stand and the best use of the space under it and changed my mind dozens of times. I ended up with this design so I can use the smaller two bays for easy access wood storage and the longer one will have shelves for pots and pans. I know it's not the best use of space for pots etc but I needed the extra length to accommodate peels, rake, shovel etc. I can always use a stick with a hook to push pots and pans towards the back and to fish them out again if I end up with more than I really need.

Quote:
I agree with you 100%, wish there was a way to retrofit a partition in mine...
Thanks Lburou that's what I love about forums you get to see what everyone does and then really think about what works or doesn't for your own needs. The large space was never an option as I wanted the cooking stuff outside next to the oven as space is limited in the kitchen.
We have a large kitchen with plenty of cupboards and large pantry but does that mean we have space for extra pots and pans for the WFO, NO!. If my wife finds an empty spot she'll buy something to fill it . Because of this the WFO stuff is with the WFO and the stand had to be designed in a way that I can have the wood storage separate.