Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

I'm not a scratch on some of the talented folks here, but I'll give you my .02 anyway.

I struggled with my first arch too...it looked a lot like yours too. I guess I still wasn't used to using the saw. My first attempt at the outer arch had the same large mortar gaps as you are showing in your pictures. After learning to taper my bricks during the inner arch and dome construction, I had another go at the outer arch (the fact that it had already busted loose somewhere along the way certainly helped). By tapering the bricks I was able to reduce the mortar gap to the correct thickness and control the shape/geometry of the arch to my liking.

You've already got a nice form to follow. It doesn't look round, more like a 1/2 circle flattened on the top and sides. I would use untapered bricks for the top and sides and taper the bricks where the radius is tighter in the corners. This might not be easy to do depending on the size/clearance of your saw. But you could make the tapered bricks in two pieces (front and back) with the brick laying flat on the saw and then sandwich them together to match the thickness of the rest of your arch..

Again, there are probably better ways of doing it, but I would try to reduce the gaps in the inner arch.

Regards,
AT
Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can tighten up the voussoirs to make room for a key in the center. Use your arch template/form for your centering, and to find the angle at which to cut your bricks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Master Builder

I guess the inner arch is less visible and I probably fluked my first build.

Stonecutter I can tighten it up and do a key as you suggest. Would there still be too much mortar on the back edge (eg.10mm) or doesn't it matter once key it.
I'm thinking I'd still use wedge pieces hidden among the mortar to help......or is this not right?

Please keep your comments coming as the penny will drop

Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

When making arch templates its best to make it all work bricks before you cut it, otherwise you end up in your situation.

Mark out the bricks (vousoirrs, spelling?) on the template and adjust to suit.
Your arch template is flat to start with so take it out and take a tad off it with a saw until it works bricks.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 AM
Master Builder

Thanks all......brickie I see my form is the prob and the point I should adjust
Having a Sparkie/IT geek background I don't visualise it to we'll......most things are hidden from view
Ah hey I admit my oven build is not setting a high standard for what happens on here.....but I'm itchin for some WFO pizza
brickie in oz likes this.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mark the center line of the arch then 38mm from each side of the center line, this will give you the top (keystone brick, although they are all keystones) 10mm each side for a joint, 75 per brick each side etc, etc, etc.

Edit:- Looking at your pic you need to get rid of 40mm to make it all work.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-27-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 AM
Master Builder

Ok so if I lose the 40mm (by trimming the arch form), that will bring them down and together.....then I don't need a cut down centre keystone.

Gee working the grey matter .....ok then I can dry lay again then sort the back cuts where it joins into the dome.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
I guess the inner arch is less visible and I probably fluked my first build.

Stonecutter I can tighten it up and do a key as you suggest. Would there still be too much mortar on the back edge (eg.10mm) or doesn't it matter once key it.
I'm thinking I'd still use wedge pieces hidden among the mortar to help......or is this not right?
I don't personally see an issue with doing this. Like you said, it's the inner arch..it is not highly visible once you build the vent walls and outer arch. That said, the arch should have a key in the center...to put it in layman's terms - it is what helps lock everything together.

My suggestion above was because you have already mortared in the springer and two voussoirs. If you don't mind breaking them out, then go the way brickie suggests....use centering for your key and voussoir layout. Otherwise, you should be able to use your form to mark out new shapes for the remaining arch brick to make room for a key.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-05-2013, 03:46 AM
Master Builder

Ok, got my head down and tinkered with my arch template so managed to get them all to fit. Well ok I shaved a couple mm from the top 2. obviously didn't angle cut each one. I think I will try that in the outer arch

just doing row 8 of the dome now....lay one, wait a couple mins....lay another. Gravity is there.... I'm tempted to go #9 like this
Attached Thumbnails
Bacterium's 2nd build-inner-arch-finished.jpg  

Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks nice! I dropped my arch form yesterday but I only did the soldier and springer course.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin