Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

Just finished row 6 except for up against the arch (refer Build #2 photo)

Probably looks more like the ugly duckling as the second hand bricks vary a bit and there are a few spots where one brick turns into the other (over cooked my angle)
she won't break records on here......I just admire more those who do

Any how it's improvement on my first oven (compare with Build #1, red bricks)
I forgot how much mortar went into it
checkout the "V" in between each brick side
Attached Thumbnails
Bacterium's 2nd build-build-2-inside.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-build-1-ouside.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-build-1-inside.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 AM
Peasant

How did your first oven hold up? And are you using Red Clay Bricks on this build too? Also I've heard of people using the Ball.I think it is even suggested in the Forno Bravo Oven Instructions.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
Ok, a good shiraz is better.
Seeing your location makes me green with envy. Every wine I have tried from SE Australia has been excellent, and my favorite region is McLaren Vale.

This was my favorite label from the area, Normans Old Vine...Cab,Shiraz and Grenache. This line was fantastic, and comparible to bottles that cost 3 or 4 times more.

Old Vine Normans

They stopped exporting to the US about 6-7 years ago. We were tipped off by a wine rep we knew, so we drove around northwest CT and bought up every bottle from all three varietals that we could find. A sad day when the last bottle was emptied!

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Apprentice

I used a rubber hippity-hop ball for my 2nd to last course (my kids weren't using it anymore). I'm not sure I really needed to, but I wanted to try it anyway. I like to show my kids that you can use all sorts of materials and simple devices to make your work easier.

It worked great. I had to stack some bricks inside the oven to raise the ball into position and inflate/deflate the ball while it was in the oven of course. I would be carefull not to over inflate the ball as it will apply an outward load on your brick and begin to bulge a little bit through the hole. My 2nd to last course was made with bricks cut to 1/2 thickness and probably < 2" wide so I didn't have to worry about the gaps too much.

Regards,
AT
Attached Thumbnails
Bacterium's 2nd build-040.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-041.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-042.jpg  
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Master Builder

Jimney, first oven did surprisingly well no real cracking inside. The only real cracks were on the outer render which was only minor. Surprising how well it performed even thought it lacked a lot of ideas now utilised now. Pressed Red brick on first one ( refer thread on rectum roarer) this time around I'm using fire brick seconds. Bit of history is my brother got them from a house demo from an old friends house. It turns out some (maybe all) came from a brick maker who my dad was mates with a few of the family. They perform well in my brothers oven and are a unique thing.

Stonecutter, yes Aussie wine in the 70s was typically known as cheap plonk, nowadays its up there against the French. I think its great when you find a bargain like that. Had some from the Nappa which I liked. What's the closest wine region to you?

AT I'm surprised its not used more often as it has the convenience of taking it in and out to clean up mortar etc. When do you tend to need to switch to half thickness bricks?

Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

Stonecutter, yes Aussie wine in the 70s was typically known as cheap plonk, nowadays its up there against the French. I think its great when you find a bargain like that. Had some from the Nappa which I liked. What's the closest wine region to you?
?
I'll say.... that wine was great, I wish we could still get it. I was told we only made up 2% of their export total and there was a larger demand close by. Oh well......

The closest wine region is here - Yadkin Valley AVA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had to look it up, and I have never tried anything from there. I've had wine from the New England and upstate New York, but nothing as good as Napa or McLaren Vale. Mainly because the reds don't have the time to develop the sugars in the grapes, because of the cold. But oh, man....the ice wines and Rieslings from Upstate NY and Canada were pretty awesome.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
AT I'm surprised its not used more often as it has the convenience of taking it in and out to clean up mortar etc. When do you tend to need to switch to half thickness bricks?
Yes, good point. I only used mine for 1 course so I did not take advantage of that fact. I switched to a half thickness to size the opening on my dome to match the plug I was planning to use for my keystone. In the end I ended up with a plug that was about 9" in dia. If I had used a full brick my plug would have been only about 6.5" around which would have been fine except I wanted inscribe something on the inside face of my plug (see below). None of this is relevant to most builders who are working toward a more conventional course thickness and final keystone size.

AT
Attached Thumbnails
Bacterium's 2nd build-048.jpg  
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Master Builder

AT like the keystone. Sure you've use half thickness for that but I can see now how it could be used to bring in the last few or maybe even correct if the "teardrop" or "map of Tassie"
comes into play.

....."map of Tassie" that's Aussie slang for the shape of Tasmania .......its an island down south of us with a particular shape..... It's heavily forested

Last edited by Bacterium; 03-25-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: clarified saying.....but now digging a hole
Old 03-26-2013, 04:30 AM
Master Builder

Arches..... WFO oven oracles I ask for your help (yes Brickie I've moved you into that category in my mind now)

Just a bit puzzled on what to do. I've dry laid the arch (except for first couple) Do I cut a wedge piece to fill the gap in centre (refer pic of arch centre gap)?
or
Do I cut 2 wedge pieces and put them further back down (refer pic of arch side gaps)?

My overall intent wasn't to angle cut each brick in the arch to get a perfect fit.....I don't feel overly confident or that skilled

help...
Attached Thumbnails
Bacterium's 2nd build-arch-centre-gap.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-arch-side-gap.jpg  

Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Peasant

Could you not just space out all the bricks by 1/16-1/8 of an inch?