Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 03:24 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

Bugger, thought I had an easy solution. My first oven was simple half brick bolster cuts.....or splits.

Saw you mention to trim one side before, It's now doing my head in. So does that mean once you cut a brick in half you then only cut one side.....on an angle front to back and at same time angled top to bottom?.......
Your patience is appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 AM
Master Builder

Ok, thanks

Looks like some experimenting on the saw tomorrow night will help me understand your point....... Not going to try and match Colin's saw jig just yet!

Last edited by Bacterium; 03-22-2013 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Looks ...not "lots"
Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 AM
Master Builder

Doug I got it

First, I worked out how to do the single side cut (as opposed to doing this angle cut on both sides of the brick which is effectively half the amount)
But
I didn't angle it to get rid of the inverted "V" because I just cut it flat on my saw bench
So
Then I worked it out.......the single side cut needs to be worked out on 2 different planes.

Effectively one cut but you need the brick to be setup to be sitting at 2 different angles as you drop the saw on the cut........

Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 AM
Master Builder

And don't worry I'm not doing the top/bottom taper cut......maybe next oven but I think I need my brain to develop in another dimension for that one.....!!!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Damon/Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
ut......maybe next oven but I think I need my brain to develop in aAnd don't worry I'm not doing the top/bottom taper cnother dimension for that one.....!!!!!
or use tapered bricks as that takes out the third diemsion See picture using combintion of 75/51/65 bricks. although i guess you have already pruchased bricks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
Doug I got it

Effectively one cut but you need the brick to be setup to be sitting at 2 different angles as you drop the saw on the cut........

Thats why i copied Russell [Utahbeehiver and others] Jig. It allows the bricks saw to do compound/mitre cuts.

I have been wrestling with this too. I am using tapered bricks and have worked out the formulae to create a 1 metere arch, as i am looing at no more than 5 mm at most mortar joints less if possible. I would prefer around 2mm joints but maybe thats too hard.

From where i sit there are three distinct things happening with the bricks, tilt/side angle/taper [top and bottom].

If you check the thread Dome Spreadsheet Calculator on tools tips and ticks thread, Deejayoh answered a question i had with a diagram of the bricks explaining tilt and side angle cuts for me. This helped a lot.

With Doug's cutting one side [thanks doug i think i get this now] explanation and Deejayoh's picture it will make sense.

Thanks for the complipment re Jig. Not far from seeing how it operates on the dome cuts, i like that it is infinately adjustable [get exact angle needed] and i can not lose the set angle on both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Bacterium's 2nd build-imag0506.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-22-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Master Builder

Colin I can see how tapered bricks would be a good starting point.

The whole multi angle cutting thing is a bit like the red pill or the blue pill in the matrix.
Last night I took the red pill.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Stuff the pills. A nice henschki shiraz was my choice.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-23-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 PM
Master Builder

Ok, a good shiraz is better.

I'm about a third into laying level #6.......gravity will be a challenge on the next level just getting away with it for now.. Thinking if I should see if the wifes fit ball (dusty one in the corner) could be an option as a form from here on up. Can always deflate it a few hours later to clean up the inside.
A mate of mine tried this in his oven, anyone else tried it and see any drawbacks?

Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Apprentice

I cut a plywood disc that was just a bit bigger than the remaining opening and inserted it up into the top of the oven on a pile of bricks and then built a mould out of sand. Once the bricks were cut and placed I mixed up a wet mix and just poured it over. The sand sops up the excess so it was easy to clean up the inside later.

You can get the exact shape you need.

It turned out to be the easiest rows of the whole build and I wished I had done 5 or 6 rows like this.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Master Builder

I used the sand cap on my first build and it was great for.tweaking the shape and building those last rows all in the one day. I'm wondering if I stay with my current method and cut/lay a layer every 2evenings:......or just bite the bullet and take a day off and make a last lunge...!