Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

Hi Damon

Nice to see you back. Like you tiles, looking good.
Me i have just been getting my brick saw jig right. Will post some picks of the finished product.

Damn, can't start cutting as I'm going away this weekend, got something on the following weekend. then the weekend over easter wont get a chance to really get much done now until after easter. Can see a couple of RDO's coming on.

Are you looking at thermal breaks at all or are going to run tiles out into the vent?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Apprentice

Hello Damon,
I built a 42" Pompeii last summer. My interior dome height is 22.25" and my entry arch is 19.75" wide by 12.5" tall. If I were to build another oven (as you are already doing), I would make my dome height a little lower (i.e. not a true hemispherical dome).

I would target around 20". I don't know if it would make any difference, but when cooking pizza I am compelled to retain a bigger fire than I really want, to to brown the surface of my pies. Maybe it wouldn't make any difference but I wish I could bring that heat/fire closer to my floor. Everybody loves the pizza, I just wish I could get the top browned a little faster.

Just my 0.02...BTW. I also built my floor with 1'x2' Medium Duty Firebrick Tiles (2.5" thick).
Attached Thumbnails
Bacterium's 2nd build-1341538547081.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-247.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Damon,
Just picked up on this thread. I was wondering if you mounded your supporting slab up in the middle slightly to prevent any water pooling under the insulation? This is easier to do when making a vermicrete slab because you can then get back to flat on the top of it when you place the stuff. A bit more difficult if using cal sil.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Master Builder

Cheers guys

Colin I am going to try a thermal break this time so will probably put the outer arch above.

ATK I might play around with measurements for a bit, lower dome has some sense. My last oven was about right for top and bottom cooking evenly

david s I noticed people now talk about a sloped top slab. I went the opposite way and it all drains towards the ash slot. I figure that at least its not flat its got somewhere to go. One the blanket goes on I will fill any side gaps with concrete then render with a slope away (towards the outside, on the outside). So if I seal it good enough my water entry should be minimal anyway......hopefully
To get a flat surface for the calsil I levelled with sand underneath first

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATK406 View Post
Hello Damon,

Just my 0.02...BTW. I also built my floor with 1'x2' Medium Duty Firebrick Tiles (2.5" thick).AND PHOTOS POSTED
Hi ATK406

Love the symmetry of the base.

Damon how are you looking at constructing the thermal break?
I havent decided yet if i will do so.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Master Builder

Colin,
Plan so far was to overlap the 2 arches by about half a brick but have the outer arch with an airgap above inner.....not sure about floor but probably an air gap somehow.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:46 AM
Master Builder

Manage to get up to the third layer tonight....Basically I am cutting the brick sides. I sorta guessed it shaving about 5-10%degrees per side for 3 bricks, made some adjustments with my saw guide then cut the rest for that layer. Second course I was a bit off but by the third I got my "eye in" and matching nicely..... gee this is addictive

Arch starts to get out of synch with the layers. I'm thinking of doing layers 3-6 all the way around except 2 bricks wide from the arch. Then cut/fill in up against the arch.

...mmm was going to comment on another thread but thought it might hijack. So the big question is Cut side face points inwards (exposed inside dome) or outwards (covered by dome insulation etc.).

Well I'm using second hand fire bricks which were recovered from a house chimney which was pre 1980's (most likely pre 1970's). Outer edge of the recovered bricks are a bit rough as you would expect for age so the outer face is not soft just rough. This obviously won't give a nice tight fit for the dome inside.

They are a proper fire brick (not just a plain pressed red) as I managed to track down details through some of their markings.
Now I used to be of the opinion that you always put the cut side out believing the outer (fired side) would be harder. Well I was having a look at them (see pics of cuts) with an old brickie mate and he said effectively as long as a brick is baked all the way through the integrity should be the same.

So going over the cuts the cut side is quite tough, occasionally you can spot a flaw (more so a crack) so I don't use that but I'm starting to think in the situation where you are using seconds for fire bricks, why not point the cut face into the fire side of your dome?...........

The other part of my reasoning is as these bricks have a dirty (outer side) that you can see was exposed to the fire inside the chimney, where they originally where.... is that something you want exposed inside your dome (food cooking) . Possibly not if it was a domestic oven, definitely not if it came from a commercial use.

This has been discussed in part before but thought I'd post up my experiences/thoughts to add to the discussion.
Attached Thumbnails
Bacterium's 2nd build-oven-rear-shot.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-front-shot.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-arch-shot.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-cut-side.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-original-brick-side.jpg  

Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Apprentice

Hello Damon,
I like your logic on reclaimed firebrick. These ovens don't generally put the refractory properties of the brick to test (they'll probably never see temperatures in excess of 1200F).

On the subject of your dome/arch transition; In my opinion, this is the most challenging part of the build. The dome build itself is pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it (as you've already seen). The intersection with the arch takes some planning. I would be careful about putting this off too long or you might paint yourself into a corner (or brick youself into a teardropped dome as the case may be). A teardrop dome is not a big deal but the lack of symmetry makes closing out the top of the dome a bit more difficult. Just my .02.

Good Luck,
Regards,
AT
Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Master Builder

The teardrop can be a concern.....albeit a "hidden" one. I've been cutting a whole layer of bricks and then I mortar, rather that cut/mortar each couple. My strategy works until you get to that point where you get a join meeting up with one on the below layer. So I'm making it occur up.towards the arch....see how it goes next layer.

My arch bricks towards the top(the back) would be about 40mm inside the adjoining rings. Hopefully to stop the teardrop effect and allowing me to trim both arch and layers where thy meet. I'm hoping this will allow me to cut arch top and rings together. I didn't quite have the confidence where Doug built his arch first.

Last edited by Bacterium; 03-19-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:16 AM
Master Builder

I had a play with the dome spreadsheet calculator. I guess part of my issue is time available to perfect my cuts between all the family/work/life stuff. Tonight is blowing and raining so just topping up my glass will brick saw sits asleep!

Basically I measure the front width and rear width of brick eg.,to find my angle I cut line 12mm in from each side of the front and then 2mm in from each side for the back. Then basically I set up my saw guide to achieve this angle for every cut. For every layer I increase the angle in my saw guide.....seems to be working ok, however I did notice on layer four, a small gap appeared at the bottom of where each bricks join side to side....is this what is meant by "inverted V"?
Wonder if it will widen or if it will stay the same, it's only just noticeable at this stage.

Last edited by Bacterium; 03-21-2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Explanation clearer