Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

Gudday

This link might be of interest as it contains a free program for calculating angles for domes and arches Angleizer free Windows Software - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community just noted it today but havn't looked to closly yet.
Love your brickwork to date...I'm masonary inpaired myself but still able to admire good work.
I like the concealled slab/ insulating layer I used it myself mainly because it was easy to put a layer of brick around block stand to pore the cast saved a bit of formwork witch only has to be pulled of at the end.
Am watching you build with interest

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cobblerdave; 06-22-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Dave, yes I need to look at a way to calculate my angled cuts.

My build will be a little slow at first:
just had 80sq. Meters of paving delivered so have to sort some of that around house due to wet weather......working on that for a week or so.
Also I've got a mate whose son is doing a pizza oven as a high school project. I'm looking to get him over and give him a shot a laying a few bricks for ... The idea is for him and his dad to help for an hour at every major phase to help them work on their design.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 AM
Master Builder

Just after some input as still deciding
I was thinking of going all CalSil board under the hearth (instead of vermicrete)..... So how much 2 or 3 or 4 inches underneath? - sitting direct on concrete slab.
Reason I ask is there a point where its overkill?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Journeyman

40 or 50mm seems the popular thickness. Our customers use 40mm with great success, never any issues.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Master Builder

Ok, I figured why not just have 50mm/2inches under the oven floor and inner arch.
From there I could build the outer arch (thermally seperate arch) straight off the concrete base, which gives me a good base to build it on.

Then for the dome (and side of oven floor) insulation I can use 2inches of blanket and 2inches of vermicrete (plus render on top of that).

So coupled with a decent insulated door could I expect a good combination for multiple days of cooking or does anyone see a weakness in my design ?

Last edited by Bacterium; 07-31-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: wording
Old 08-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Would never say weakness.....but you might consider keeping to 40mm under the hearth...then use the savings to put a full 3 ins (75mm) of ceramic instead of just 2 in over the dome.
By the plans 3 ins of ceramic is worth 6 in plus of pealcrete in insulation value and you then have complety dry insulation.....no mass of water to drive out of your insulation before use
Well thats my take on it .....whichever way you go your certainly interested in a proper level of insulation and thats got to be a good thing

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Dave
I never thought about it like that, dropping the vermicrete re moisture, especially as I'm not putting my dome under an enclosure.

The cold weather and doing almost 100sq meters of paving has slowed my build, although I got a lintel to do the front span of the base, the other day. Mmmmm tax time is here, see if I can get a few more $$$ for insulation

Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Master Builder

still here

Got the lintel in, final courses up and top slab poured (with ash slot).

........yep a few of the bricks are on the lean ....I call it my signature
Attached Thumbnails
Bacterium's 2nd build-slab-close.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-slab-front.jpg  

Last edited by Bacterium; 08-21-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Damon
I just call myself masonary impaired but you can come around any time and do my brickwork

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Dave..... Even though its square in shape I got a bit dizzy.