Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 05:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

Hey Damon

photo's please...............

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hey Damon

photo's please...............
Yeah I got so engrossed forgot to get me camera out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
Dave.......so right you are.
Less thinking.... More working

All suited up, work area well and truly saturated from large rains Friday. Temporary shelter in place I got cracking on Saturday.....
Blanket x 3 generous layers on.......
Vermicrete layer applied on top of that....... Basically I used a 100lt bag to bring it back to the igloo shaped.
Even managed a small curing fire Sunday night. I will redo a series of curing fires over the week to push out any moisture from the dome capping layer (under blanket). Can't see it hurting the outer vermicrete layer (over blanket), which . As long as I manage the heat and not too much steam occurs.

Wooooohhoooo first proper pizza cookup sometime this weekend....
If you see steam then you are going too hard.
100 L vermicrete means you've added around 30 litres of water. That's a lot to get rid of. Try to let the sun and wind do some of the work for you. Unfortunately this means waiting time. When you think it's dry throw a sheet of plastic over it to see if any moisture condenses under it. Wait until it's dry before doing the outer shell.
Haste at your own peril.

Last edited by david s; 06-04-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Master Builder

Well that was a great weekend....pizza and bread!!.....just

During last week I slow cured and there has been a noticeable amount of moisture being removed. Every time I took tarp off between rain there was plenty of condensation to shake off. I've decided to wait to its completely dry then final render coat to go on (you will notice the vermiculite skim layer to bring the shape back).

So by Saturday night I carefully took it to pizza temp (only just removed black off inner dome) and did 8 normal pizza (2 were garlic pizzas) and a gluten free (which my lad who needs it...quickly devoured). Next morning oven was only 110Deg c, so I re-fired it a little to bake some bread. Probably not enough if you look at my breads
.....If you throw one of them you might find it comes back (boomerang).

Dome outer seems good, no actual steam or hot spots just moisture working its way out.

I quickly made a temporary door out of Hebel but it leaks too much heat out the top edge. Still though was pretty impressed how well it works as a material. I've also got to finish the front landing so the front edge of the oven floor is still pretty exposed.

overall it's great to get that WFO pizza feeling again.

as usual ...thanks for all those who chip in and provide build comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Bacterium's 2nd build-1-blanket-vermicrete.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-2-garlic-pizza.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-3-bread.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-4-boomerang.jpg  
brickie in oz likes this.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:43 AM
Master Builder

here's a couple shots of my temporary door that I hacked out of a bit of undersized scrap hebel.

the rope is holding my tarp down for a bit of wind and rain forecast for next few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Bacterium's 2nd build-hebel-door-1.jpg   Bacterium's 2nd build-hebel-door-2.jpg  

Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Damon
Great to hear you ovens a goer!
Hebel makes a great insulated door, its cement so it will not harm the food,you can carve a lip on it so it fits snug. Add a nice face of wood with silastic and screw a couple of nice handles that will never get hot. I have included a link at the bottom to my hebel door, you might find it interesting
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Damon,

Congrats on your pizzas and especially the boomerang shaped bread! BTW, what recipe did you use for the gluten free dough? I have a daughter who needs to eat gluten free and so I am always looking for a good recipe for her.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Apprentice

Good work Damon.

That first pizza makes all the effort worth while.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Sharkey.....first garlic pizza I dragged out gave me the sniff off sucess.......its been over 2yrs since I had my own WFO......bit of a drought!

Dave, read you door post. This gave me the enthusiasm to try Hebel again. It's a lot thicker than the last stuff I once used. The internal mesh/bar probably also helps. Basically my neighbour had some left over wall panel he said I could have.

Russell the GF option was a packet mix thing which you just add water, will get specifics from the wife.It was a very sloppy mix which I poured onto a well oiled pizza tray, let it sit to rise. You then pre bake it on the tray and then take it out, put on your toppings then back in to finish cooking it.
It was tricky to seperate it from the pizza tray, so I didn't try putting it onto the hearth. I was scared if it stuck to the floor my lad would have been so upset.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Master Builder

Russell - I threw out the packet (recipe on back) but its a product from one of our local flour mills
Home Baker Products | Laucke Flour Mills

They do a gluten free white and multigrain flour.

I'd imagine you'd have some sort of local flour producer in your neck of the woods who would have a comparable product.

I also baked some muffins for him using Quinoa (in the WFO). Maybe once I or others get baking more of this stuff (Gluten Free, Dairy free....) we can start a thread on restricted diet/food intolerance diet cooking stuff......there is plenty of recipes on the web but not generally around cooking in a WFO.