Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 02:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

Hi guys

I have seen it [shiralite]in pics and examples and it looks ok to me Allan quite insulative and solid. Not like I have seen with vermiculate alone.

However I will be using it for previous reasons stated with a ceramic blankie over it.

Part of my reasoning to do this, instead of maybe having another thermal mass layer over it [the dome], is to simply create a lock or key to lock the dome in place and add a bit more insulation. A blanket CANNOT DO THAT but actually places a layer over the dome that allows greater movement of the dome bricks that are held together by a little mortar [that must be the weak point as cracks seem to occur predominantly in the mortar]. The blanket I assume can also be susceptible to compression occurring would possibly lose some insulative properties due to this.

I keep reading about expansion and contraction and with a single layer of dome bricks I just feel locking that in place with an outer shell [whether thermal mass or solid insulation layer] before the blanket cant hurt one bit. I'm no scientist or refractory expert but to me this makes perfect sense. Solid layer vs moveable blanket layer vs solid insulative layer around the dome sorry will go with either of the solid optins first every time. Must help a little with crack minimization also.

Just a theory but that's what I'm going to do.

If it fails then you can all tell me I told you so

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-28-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post

I keep reading about expansion and contraction and with a single layer of dome bricks I just feel locking that in place with an outer shell before the blanket cant hurt one bit.
It will still crack and so will the outer concrete shell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes I know it will but am hoping less so. proof of pudding will be in the firing

Old 05-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,
I think your plan is ok for the reasons you stated, but if it were me I'd be firing the oven after a week of hopefully rainless weather after applying the Shiralite. It will take lots of water. After applying the blanket over the dried Siralite you might find the surface pretty bumpy with blanket folds and joins. A thin layer of the Shiralite or vermicrete will get it back to anice hemisphere again prior to rendering.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds like a good plan David.

Sorry Damon I didn't intend hijacking your thread.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Master Builder

No problem guys, keep going its highlighted things to consider.

I finished adding my extra layer on dome ( aggregate/sand/cement/lime +chicken wire). How long should I let it dry (as a minimum) before I redo curing fires (drive out moisture)?

Old 05-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Master Builder

To the Ozzies,

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there some high tension among you guys? I really hope not, but lately I feel that it has become a little hard edged. Maybe, I'm too sensitive. Just asking.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
No problem guys, keep going its highlighted things to consider.

I finished adding my extra layer on dome ( aggregate/sand/cement/lime +chicken wire). How long should I let it dry (as a minimum) before I redo curing fires (drive out moisture)?
I like to leave it for a week, not for strength but to allow the water to escape, assuming the weather is fine. Tarp it if it looks like rain.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
To the Ozzies,

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there some high tension among you guys? I really hope not, but lately I feel that it has become a little hard edged. Maybe, I'm too sensitive. Just asking.
To which posts are you referring?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
To the Ozzies,

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there some among you guys? I really hope not, but lately I feel that it has become a little hard edged. Maybe, I'm too sensitive. Just asking.

Nope, Just Some Discussion About What Should Go Where To Prevent This And That, With A few Differing Views Here And There. All Good Information. Sometimes Debates Happen. But I Know I Got Some Good Info, LiKE Now I Expect My Oven To crack. So I Won't Be disappointed Now When It does
david s likes this.