Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 03:57 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

Mostly the mortar but it cracked all the way through one brick...bit surprising because it occurred in an area where I had a good bond, no aligning joints. Looking closer tonight there are a couple other spots. I guess being second hand bricks it was always a risk.

Happy if others want to provide comment on best mix for a capping layer over dome (before blanket) . This would also provide a less jagged surface for the blanket to go onto anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:53 AM
Master Builder

Damon

IM Going To Use Shiralite.

Then Blanket.

Won't be curing mine until blanket ss on - Something To Do With Hear Balance

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-20-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:02 AM
Master Builder

What's Shoreline?...... You got me there.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 AM
Master Builder

Sorry Damon bloody mobile phone autocorrect.

Shiralite

My Build -
Old 05-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Better to use a dense mix over the dome that will provide some extra thermal mass and strength IMO. Shiralite is an insulator. You are better to use your best insulator closest to the heat. For that cladding layer I use aggregate, sand, cement, lime and steel fibres for strength, but chicken wire will do too.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Master Builder

Cheers Colin.....I struggle with that on the iPad as its different to android on my phone.

David thanks, after more reading last night this confirms my direction. .....might stick some remaining heat proof mortar on the cracks then chicken wire then this smoothing and thermal mass layer.......you would think it would help keep the dome integral/strong.

Last edited by Bacterium; 05-20-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Annoying iPad spelling
Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
Ouch....
The crack fairy visited last night.....
Ya probably need a totally new description for cracks appearing in the oven........

Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Apprentice

Are hair line cracks a big deal? And won't most ovens get them? Or not?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

All ovens crack to some degree.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:21 AM
Master Builder

hi

here here Alan, I was talking to a Furnace builder [30years in industry]today and he confirmed what you posted.

Comments made were along the lines of - Every oven is unique and not having cracks is what is rare. But the tips were - complete your oven without sealing it i.e. cement based render not acrylic, Then cure it very slowly. this will give you the best chance toward crack minimization.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-21-2013 at 05:46 AM.