Old 07-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Aussie Chit Chat

Shanghai, like a few other cities in China has banned motorbikes, so only bicycles or electrics are allowed. They have sold millions of these things, I think/hope that theybhave the reliability sorted out. When I was in short pants the cry from anything made in Japan was "Jap crap" now their quality is unquestioned. Have seen the same with Sth. Korean products. Less than 10 years ago I bought a Currie (USA) system of motor driving the rear wheel via a tiny chain running on 24V lead acid batteries(souped up to 30V with another 6v in series) The quality and performance of my new system is light years ahead.But I take your point, it's all a gamble, but that is part of the fun when you're breaking new ground.
Dave
Old 07-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Master Builder

Have you guys, down under, bought Chinese mfg goods? They are all crap. China is in their infancy stage of the manufacturing evolution. Here in the Philippines, Chinese crap is all that is available, unless you pay an arm and a leg for American or euro imports.

Some consultant could make a lot of money teaching them quality principles.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Journeyman

Most of the firebricks sold in Oz come from China, you just have to find the best manufacturers.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
Most of the firebricks sold in Oz come from China, you just have to find the best manufacturers.
And the Chinese were hundreds of years ahead of Europe in their understanding and control of fire, refractories and ceramics. Also of note is that the South Koreans were known as the finest Asian pottery of all. Master manufacturers. Notice now how Hyundai is the new Toyota?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Laborer

bugger getting bricks from china claypave is 300 metres away from me
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bris-pizza-oven View Post
I purchase some materials from Claypave/ Rylance Refractories, and have found their firebricks are not suitable for furnace and boiler work. They are OK for ovens, but not for 1000c+ situations.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bris-pizza-oven View Post

Im fairly sure that half the bricks I lay come from China, I know for a fact the cement I use does, the cement is bulk shipped and bagged here, Ive had the rep out because of the colour difference in the bags.

Once the carbon tax hits everything you buy will either come from China or India where they just dont give a flying, good bye Ozzie jobs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It beats me how the freight charges for goods sent from China are less than those that are charged from Brisbane.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Serf

Mate sorry to hear that

It's never a good thing to happen. Everything has cycles and we can only hope that things pick up again in the future......Not that I can see that happening with this wonderful carbon tax.......

I work in an Aluminium smelter near Newcastle and the writting is already on the wall for it's closure soon........it has 600 direct employees and indirectly employees 3000 people around the area............ Yeah this tax is going to help us all lol
Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Youre not alone Doug, no consolation but I have had the worst toughest 2 years in the trade, luckily my Princess works in childcare.

I seem to work harder and get paid less than I did 20 years ago.

All the shit rough brickies pick up the work for the same money I charge, I dont get it?