Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Australia (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/)
-   -   Any peeps on the Central Coast of NSW? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/any-peeps-central-coast-nsw-15696.html)

Bert 04-11-2011 10:51 PM

Any peeps on the Central Coast of NSW?

Hi All

Anyone building or planning to build a WFO on the Central Coast of NSW? I'm finding it very difficult to get a definative answer out of council regarding regulations.

I plan on starting another thread shortly to capture my project!

Cheers

Bert

brickie in oz 04-11-2011 11:07 PM

Re: Any peeps on the Central Coast of NSW?

Your first mistake in building the oven was going to the council.
Like most councils they are just there to fill the day in to get a pension, they wouldnt even know what a WFO was until you told them.

Just build it..:D

Bert 04-11-2011 11:12 PM

Couldnt agree more Brickie!

Alter ego 04-11-2011 11:29 PM

In in Newcastle so not far away.

Like Brickie, I kept well away from the council and have great neighbours who will talk to me if they have any problems with my oven. So far the only complaints that I've had from my neighbours is that I haven't fired it up on a particular weekend for them to use the residual heat.

At the time of my build I looked up our local council rules and if you classify a WFO as a BBQ and keep the total heigh below 1.5m and no closer than 0.9m to the boundry then you wouldn't need approval. My oven is higher than 1.5m and about 0.1m from the boundry so don't tell anyone. :D

brickie in oz 04-11-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alter ego (Post 111069)
At the time of my build I looked up our local council rules and if you classify a WFO as a BBQ and keep the total heigh below 1.5m and no closer than 0.9m to the boundry then you wouldn't need approval. My oven is higher than 1.5m and about 0.1m from the boundry so don't tell anyone. :D

Shit, mine is 3M high....:rolleyes: :D well the chimney is, but well away from the fence.

carioca 06-02-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 111071)
Shit, mine is 3M high....:rolleyes: :D well the chimney is, but well away from the fence.

I looked at the council regulations, decided mine was a barbie, so I didn't apply for approval - and if someone checks the height, I'll just slide out the s/s flue and store it...

Cheers
LMH

NB: My unfinished oven lives at picasaweb.google.com/Brasa500C/Forno_del_gallo

nissanneill 06-02-2011 03:32 AM

What they don't know, won't hurt them!
All they do is collect the fees, make life difficult, never follow up any builds and don't accept any responsibility at all.
Ofter they require engineers specifications on anything that they don't understand or know about.
Well, that's my experiences with councils anyway!

Neill

Huhness 06-15-2011 08:10 PM

I'm on the central coast and was able to get NOTHING from wyong council, they are useless. I built my oven against the retaining wall. It is far enough away from the house and thats all I find is important. Neither of the houses are built along this wall and my neighbours had no problem with where i'd placed it. Although be built one of those DIY stratco awnings with no approval.

All I could find on the net was as long as it was smaller than 14m/sq (I think it was?) then does not require approval.

Bert 06-15-2011 09:08 PM

Hughness firstly great oven. Did you purchase the refractory mortar for your oven as part of the kit!

Your right, councils here dont seem to know how to treat WFO's I would argue a mans gotta eat right? :)

Huhness 06-16-2011 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 115089)
Hughness firstly great oven. Did you purchase the refractory mortar for your oven as part of the kit!

Your right, councils here dont seem to know how to treat WFO's I would argue a mans gotta eat right? :)

Cheers mate :)

Yea I bought the kit from field furnace and they advised me to buy an extra bag of the mortar and thank god they did! It's not worth the trouble going back to get mote when they aren't even open weekends!

Let me know if you need some pointers and I've got the door and arch templates if you want to borrow them.

Anyway bloody councils right!! :D