Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Alan Scott oven in sydney

Check out this thread.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...hot-19872.html (Oven hearth does not get hot)
Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Laborer

Thanks crawfish,
Looks like we are on the right track then.

I did a quick mockup today and quickly realised that what my friend said to me was true.I will need more overall length,an extra 150mm to the hearth slab.I will just cantilever it off the concrete blocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Alan Scott oven in sydney-imag0212_1.jpg  
Crawfish fest likes this.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbybones View Post
Well i had a good talking to by a friend who is an expert in this field and i will definately be changing things up somewhat.I'll be going for a hybrid version of the original design.Barrel vault type oven with approx. 75mm thermal mass all round and close to 150mm of insulation.Unlike Alan scotts design i will be putting the insulation over the hearth slab not under it,meaning i no longer need to design a suspended type hearth slab,it could just sit of the existing concrete blockwork.I will actually probably end up with a slightly bigger oven internally overall so thats also good.

Thanks to all who pushed me to revise my original idea.

Polo,i definately see the advantages of an oven like yours and like you say its also very efficient in the fact you need not fire it as often but i dont think ill be needing to be cooking throughout the week.I see myself as a weekend cook for when people come over etc.So i think i quicker fire up time and still a decent amount of retained heat time will be ideal for my purposes.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Cheers,John.
Sounds like you are making the right choice for yourself. I only commented so you could get the real life numbers from someone who has nad uses a higher mass oven.

In the end you need to build something that is suitable to your needs and not someone elses. Good luck on your build
cobblerdave likes this.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Sounds like you are making the right choice for yourself. I only commented so you could get the real life numbers from someone who has nad uses a higher mass oven.

In the end you need to build something that is suitable to your needs and not someone elses. Good luck on your build
Thanks Polo,
I agree with you.Here i was thinking pizza oven designs were pretty much universal. Only when you get into understanding it all,you find out how minor changes can alter an overall characteristics.

Well today we poured the hearth slab.
We put a second layer steel mesh in as we poured the concrete to give it more tensile strength.Slowly making progress.
Regards ,John.

Crawfish fest likes this.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:59 AM
Laborer

Hi John

Looking good!

How long did you leave between pouring your hearth slab and taking the form work away and being ready to move to the next stage. I'm thinking of taking a few days off to kick start the process, however there is no point if I'm going to have to just sit and wait for the slab to dry?

I guess there could be some point in that I could sit and drink beer and dream of the pizzas I plan to make.

Cheers

Mark
Old 10-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
Hi John

Looking good!

How long did you leave between pouring your hearth slab and taking the form work away and being ready to move to the next stage. I'm thinking of taking a few days off to kick start the process, however there is no point if I'm going to have to just sit and wait for the slab to dry?

I guess there could be some point in that I could sit and drink beer and dream of the pizzas I plan to make.

Cheers

Mark
G'day Mark,

I know what you mean.Most people wait for the hearth slab to cure for a week but ive seen some on here take to the next step straight away as well.I might wait some where in between like 3-4 days.Having said that, rain has started here in sydney and predicted for all week
So far i only took off the formwork from the sides of the slab.I think i'll leave the formwork supporting the weight for a little longer.

In the meantime i can order materials and find some weather protection for the oven build.

Cheers John
Old 10-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Rain that's good! That slab will cure well in the damp and be good and strong. Drying out only takes away its strength .
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Rain that's good! That slab will cure well in the damp and be good and strong. Drying out only takes away its strength .
Regards dave
This is true,there's always a silver lining
But i wont lie,once you start at this, the hankering for the finish line pizza is something no grown man can resist
Old 10-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbybones View Post
This is true,there's always a silver lining
But i wont lie,once you start at this, the hankering for the finish line pizza is something no grown man can resist
Gudday
Sometime that timeline slips a lot. Took about 7 weeks till the first pizza
......and three years till completion
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
How long did you leave between pouring your hearth slab and taking the form work away and being ready to move to the next stage.
Why cant you just keep on with the progress and just leave the form work in place?