Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Alan Scott oven in sydney

Looking good. The blue tarp or cover, and time I think are required if you want to minimise cracks and keeping the water out. I sealed the final render to early and have some minor cracking.

Decisions - do I put the tarp on or off!. Weather can be hard to predict.

Keep up the good work.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissie View Post
Looking good. The blue tarp or cover, and time I think are required if you want to minimise cracks and keeping the water out. I sealed the final render to early and have some minor cracking.

Decisions - do I put the tarp on or off!. Weather can be hard to predict.

Keep up the good work.
Gudday Brissy
Been watching the BOM site for a while now ( the 125 km Mt Stapleton radar) plenty of promise , lots of lightning, but no rain of any note! Wish it would just pour and give us relief from the heat. My ovens tucked away, storm door and chimney covered ..... Bring it on ... Please no hail.!!
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:12 AM
Laborer

Not sure about you guys, but it has just started to pour in Albany Creek, but not sure how long it will last. Also have been without power for about half and hour.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Laborer

Sounds like bad weather for you guys,hopefully all is well.

Just a quick question for you guys.As you know i just put on the last layer of vermi-mix insulation over the dome a couple of days ago.When do you think it would be ok to start firing up the oven again and resuming cooking duties ?

Cheers John.

John

My Build .........
Old 12-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Alan Scott oven in sydney

Gudday John
I don't know. I think this one is your call. The positive is that has been fired before but its a big mass of both firebrick and insulation. Be cautious with your fires, low and slow is what I would say.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 12-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

As your vermicrete over the dome is not really structural, it only needs to hold the grains in place so you can render over it. The problem is removing the water so plenty of wind and sun on it is what you want. If it were mine I'd start heating it up from the inside too, so that the water will be pushed out. Use the heat to do some roasting and baking while you're about it. Wait until the oven is pretty dry before going for pizza temperatures or doing your rendered shell on the outside.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Laborer

Sounds like good advice,cheers.
That's exactly what i'll do.Start some low temp fires and gradually build back up to pizza temps again.

Regards,John.

John

My Build .........
Old 12-30-2013, 02:31 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
As your vermicrete over the dome is not really structural, it only needs to hold the grains in place so you can render over it. The problem is removing the water so plenty of wind and sun on it is what you want. If it were mine I'd start heating it up from the inside too, so that the water will be pushed out. Use the heat to do some roasting and baking while you're about it. Wait until the oven is pretty dry before going for pizza temperatures or doing your rendered shell on the outside.
That's what I have been doing...sun outside and fire inside and i'm not getting any moisture on the plastic cover. Just need to give it to the oven now according to you guys, I've been firing now since the 15th.

My Build -