Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Alan Scott oven in sydney

Fruits of your hard labor......kudos to you. If I remember right some of your WFOs mates found local brands of flour doing just as well as the expensive imported 00 Caputo.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Fruits of your hard labor......kudos to you. If I remember right some of your WFOs mates found local brands of flour doing just as well as the expensive imported 00 Caputo.
Thanks Russell,

You're right,tasting that first pizza makes it all worthwhile.I can't wait to try a variety of foods in this bad boy.The way i see it ,there's only one drawback from owning a WFO and that's going to be trying not to put on weight
I actually found a decent Caputo supplier in Sydney at a good price so i will give it a go.

Cheers,John
Old 12-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Laborer

I finally got the vermicrete done over the dome.I'll give that some time to set now and then ill do a final render with some sort of waterproofing additive.
As you can see the final design of the build is starting to come to light.Its meshing well with the existing bbq area.
I still have a few touches left but all in all,we're nearly there.

Cheers ,John

Mitchamus, Gulf, Greenman and 1 others like this.

John

My Build .........
Old 12-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday John
That v-Crete layer is still full of water, lots of water, all trapped in those tiny air spaces it will take a period for that to come out. Render now and it will be trapped with only the oven structure to vent through. I think vents are a help but not the solution.
The only oven I have had personal experience with V-crete was V-crete only. It was months before it was finally waterproofed. Textured cement paint only. No cracks and it was being used. My own, cured dry dome, dry insulation then render ,no cracks in dome. I think there's something to be said to firstly drying then heat tempering the dome before waterproofing.
Just some thoughts , I hate hearing of cracked ovens, seems unfair.
Regards Dave
david s likes this.

My Build

My Door

Old 12-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Laborer

I'm with you on that Dave.
To be honest i dont mind leaving the final render for a couple of months still,at this point there's no hurry as long as i can cook in it.So i will definately heed your advice.
cheers.

John

My Build .........
Old 12-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Laborer

Hi John

Looking really good, not just the oven but the whole area.

What you and Dave say about no use putting the waterproof layer on until the moisture is out maker sense as all it will do will be to trap it in there. Only question is do you keep it covered until you do that?
Old 12-28-2013, 11:43 PM
Laborer

Hey thanks Mark,
I will probably just keep a tarp handy and cover it up when i think it might rain.
We are about to renovate our house so there's going to be alot of tarp action going on ,one more wont hurt for now.Otherwise i might buy a cheap marquee from bunnings and set it up over the oven.I think they sell one for $40.

John

My Build .........
Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Laborer

Hi John

I guess what is a couple of more months. After putting in so much time and effort, just keen to get it finished off. There is a storm in Brisbane at the moment, so have my creation covered with a tarp. The last thing I guess we want is too let rain in to let it rehydrate.

Cheers

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Alan Scott oven in sydney-image.jpg  
Old 12-29-2013, 12:19 AM
Laborer

Haha,that is the best photo I've seen on the forums
The little one looks like he's on security detail to protect the oven,so cute.!

John

My Build .........
Old 12-29-2013, 12:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
The infamous blue tarp seems to be a common oven accessory
Cheap, and ugly but it does the job
Regards dave

My Build

My Door