Old 02-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Adelaide WFO Build

"Anyone have an opinion on adding lime to the mortar mix? I wasn't planning on using it, but wanted to make sure there's not some compelling reason for using it."

Gudday
Sounds like you using the poor mans mix...Portand cement lime firclay and sand? Yes the lime provides the long term, heat proof "glue" in the mix. The portland is there for the initial setting of the mix and as the heat destroys it the lime gets stronger. Use builders lime not quick lime or garden lime. You'll enjoy using this mortar its very different and feels more like mud than mortar to use but it works well.
You hav'nt mention a waterproof membrane yet.... if you havn't use a layer under your base use a bit of builders plastic before your cement slab otherwise your oven will always be damp and hard to use....

Regards Dave

Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-17-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:08 AM
Peasant

Dave, thanks of the reply.

Yes you are correct, I'm using the 'poor mans mix'

Thanks for the explanation about the lime, I will go get some tomorrow. As far as a membrane is concerned I've added a damp proof course in the brickwork. The slab will be under the level of the pavers and so the membrane will not work as it's basically below ground level.

Made good progress today. With the help of the better half we filled the base with hardcore and I finished a couple of courses that I didn't do last night as it was too dark. I then capped it off with a layer of mesh and concrete leaving enough of a gap for the vermicrete.

Unfortunately Thermal Cermaics was closed today so I ended up getting the vermiculite from the hydro shop around the corner. I bought 3 100ltr bags and ended up using two and half of them.

With the 'vermicrete' laid in, I set about making the formwork for the work surface. On the advice of the father-in-law (a builder) I set a sheet of concrete board as the base. The board is actually left in place. The board does not come to the edge of the 'slab' as the formwork tucks underneath so you cannot see it unless you peek underneath. It's not structural, it simply makes the formwork easier to make.

I then mixed up some concrete with some diggers black to set the work surface in. I decided to colour the surface as I had it spare - eventually it will get tiled, but for the time being I thought why not. Thats pretty much where I left it this evening.

I did take some time to try out the hearth bricks in both orientations, I definitely prefer on end.

Here's some pics...

Hoping to get the dome done tomorrow, but will see how I go.
Attached Thumbnails
Adelaide WFO Build-img_2535.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2547.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2548.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-image.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2544.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubber View Post
Dave, thanks of the reply.

I did take some time to try out the hearth bricks in both orientations, I definitely prefer on end.

Here's some pics...

Hoping to get the dome done tomorrow, but will see how I go.
Gudday
Consider using the hearth bricks the other way... not on there ends so you dont give the base to much termal mass. You'll find that most ovens take about 2 hours to get to "pizza temp" regardless of there size. Increasing the thermal mass takes more energy to heat yes the oven will take longer to cool down but do you really expend more time and wood to achieve this. Its much easier to increase the insulation to keep the heat in there and save on wood and time to pizza heat.
Your making great progress nice work

Regards Dave
Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 AM
Peasant

Didn't get the dome up today, mostly as there were no brick saws for hire.

Bit of trivia for anyone who's interested - All hire shops are required to electrically test and tag their equipment prior to each use. For some reason Bunnings do not employ anyone to do this at the weekend. Which means that stuff that's been hired on a Friday or Saturday is Tagged out until Monday, meaning that you can't hire it on Sunday. Funny thing is - I've been caught out by Bunnings the same way before.

I ended up hiring one from Kennings, but then wasted most of the morning trying to figure out how to fit the flue on the front of the oven. I made my base to the dimensions in Russel Jeavons book, 1500mm across, with an 1100mm dome. The difference is pretty much the width of a brick - which doesn't leave a lot of room for a flue.

I did end up deciding to lay the bricks flat, but not until I had laid them all out on end. My decision was partly made by not having enough bricks to finish the flue.

I took one brick out of the centre and substituted it with a red clay brick drilled out to accept the brick / dome gauge. I will swap it back once I've finished.

The flue was proving to be a bit of an issue, try as hard as I might, I could not figure out how to fit in on the base without needing more... erm... base. I eventually admitted defeat and decided to go get the book.

Even though there's not a lot of technical info in the book, there are some helpful line drawings. It was one of these that solved the problem for me. The archway bricks are cut (or at least the first row is shown this way) to match in with the first course. This allows the arch to sit further back towards the centre giving just enough room for the flue to fit. Problem solved.

Having fixed one issue, I then cut the bricks for the arch, trimmed the edge of the hearth and cut some of the bricks for the flue. One thing that I was deciding between was whether to build the outer wall up so that I could insulate the dome using dry vermiculite, or keep the dome shape and then insulate it with 'vermicrete'. For the time being I've decide to do that latter. Whilst I'm sure the rendered dome would probably not perform as well, it definitely has better aesthetics, plus I can always build the outer wall up down the track if I find that the oven does not hold its heat too well.

Building the flue up without the outer wall meant that the arch would probably require some additional support so I decided to make up another arch out of flatbar to help.

Hopefully I will get to actually lay some of the dome tomorrow.

Here's some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Adelaide WFO Build-img_2552.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2554.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2557.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2558.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2560.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"eventually it will get tiled, but for the time being I thought why not."

Have you considered just grinding and polishing it ? Concrete counter tops can look very nice and are all but impervious to heat and to heavy pots being banged down. If you don't like the looks you can always tile it later.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
"eventually it will get tiled, but for the time being I thought why not."

Have you considered just grinding and polishing it ? Concrete counter tops can look very nice and are all but impervious to heat and to heavy pots being banged down. If you don't like the looks you can always tile it later.
Yes, but not sure how to do this. Is it easy?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 AM
Peasant

Finally got to lay some bricks today. I managed to get the dome up and some of the flue. I need to return the brick saw tomorrow morning so I will have to cut the remaining bricks with my grinder (I'm sure I will regret this - last time I cut bricks with a grinder I vowed never again - lol).

Need to get another bag or two of vermiculite to render the dome, and still have one counter top to pour, but apart from that I'm thinking pizza is on the menu tomorrow.

Still need to figure out how to fit my 'flue'. I sourced an old red chimney pot, now I just need to work out how it sits on top of the chimney 'stack'.

Here's some snaps of todays work.
Attached Thumbnails
Adelaide WFO Build-img_2565.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2566.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2571.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2578.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2580.jpg  

Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Peasant

As Arthur Brown said...

"Fire!! Bring me Fire!!"

Hehehehe. Lit some small fires this morning whilst cutting the bricks for the arch. But whilst trying to figure out the flue I realised that somehow my arch had managed to rise up a course. Must have got carried away with laying bricks last night trying to use up the mortar.

Oddly enough, even with the higher arch it still draws really well, the main issue I have found is that depending on which way the wind blows I sometimes get a bit of smoke coming out of the front.

Anyhows, just stopped for a coffee and was excited enough to have to post about it .

Off to knock up some muck next.

Next stop lunchtime. I'm getting she who must be obeyed to knock up some pizza dough in the bread machine. Pizza for lunch.
Attached Thumbnails
Adelaide WFO Build-img_2588.jpg  

Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I may have misunderstood the time line of your posts or maybe the humidity in Aulstralia is a factor but, fire, already? wow

Old 02-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I may have misunderstood the time line of your posts or maybe the humidity in Aulstralia is a factor but, fire, already? wow
I let the dome dry out overnight and then lit a small fire this morning, I've kept a small fire going all day which is fun when you're still building the flue

Built it one day - used it the next.

I stoked it up a bit for lunch but it wasn't really hot enough to cook a 90 second pizza

The flue is finished and I'm just cementing in the chimney pot. I've let the dome cool this arvo so that I can render it.

Tonight we will test it as tomorrow the relies are coming over for pizza.

Here's some pics of lunchtimes results...

Attached Thumbnails
Adelaide WFO Build-img_2589.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2591.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2594.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2607.jpg