Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Adelaide WFO Build

Yet more progress pics (wish I could add more than 5 to a post )...

Ever wondered how many bricks a Range Rover can carry? I could have got more in but wasn't sure how the airbags would hold up. For future reference It'd do a tonne. The brick in the pic are the soft reds for the base.

The second pic is the site foreman. Between him and the dog I now have brickies sand all over the garden.

Pics 3 and 4 - The slab is 100mm thick. Not sure it needs to be that thick but it seemed like a good round number. The REO is just stuff that I got from Bunnings.

Still got a heap more bricks to pick up which I will do in the morning. I also priced up a brick saw, which is an expensive bit of kit to hire. Think I might be using my grinder instead. I figure I've only really got the arch bricks to cut and maybe the very top of the dome. The rest I can do with a brick chisel.

Will keep you posted of the progress.

Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Adelaide WFO Build-img_2497.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2498.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2504.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2503.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Apprentice

Well done Mick you are certainly on your way now.
Keep the photos coming.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Peasant

Picked up the rest of the bricks this morning. Seems like I was just in the nick of time. Bumped into another Forno Bravo member building a Pompeii oven - he'd bought the other half of the bricks that I'd bought. Whilst we were there yet another bloke arrived also wanting bricks for a brick oven. Seems like it's a popular pastime.

Apart from unloading the bricks did nothing else. Needed to let the slab dry out a bit. Will hopefully start laying bricks tomorrow arvo.

Here's some pics of the slab...
Attached Thumbnails
Adelaide WFO Build-img_2506.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2507.jpg   Adelaide WFO Build-img_2508.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
probably a silly question ...the ring of bricks...shape of the base? or position of oven?

regards Dave
Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
probably a silly question ...the ring of bricks...shape of the base? or position of oven?

regards Dave
Both.

I'm planning on a round enclosed base filled with hardcore and topped with a layer of concrete. On top of this I will add a base of fire bricks on their side (to increase the thermal mass) and then the oven on top of that. The base will be larger in diameter then the oven so that down the track I can enclose the oven if I feel the need.

The base will be enclosed simply so that I can get rid of a load of hardcore that I have laying about. There's till plenty of space left for wood storage under the food prep area so for me there is no need to have the base open, plus I like the look of a round base.

The base will also tie in with the work prep / BBQ area brickwork, which extends to the right.

Well at any rate that's the plan. Sometimes these things have a habit of going awry

Old 02-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubber View Post
Both.

On top of this I will add a base of fire bricks on their side (to increase the thermal mass)
It should be insulation then firebricks.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:17 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
It should be insulation then firebricks.
Good call. Just reading about this.

Does Perlite / vermiculite + cement in a 5:1 ratio sound right? Been reading a thread over at traditionaloven.com and that's what they seem to suggest.

I managed to get about half of the base done this evening but ran out of bricks. Will stop of at the old red brick co on the way home from work and pick up some more. Also need to find a source for the vermiculite. There's a hydro shop round the corner so I think I'll try there first.

I'm hoping to get the base finished tomorrow and the layer of insulation for the floor poured so that I can let it cure for a day before starting on the rest.

I did manage to find a local suppler for fire clay - A place called The Pug Mill not too far from me. They sell 20kg bags for about $60. Will pick some up tomorrow.

Anyone have an opinion on adding lime to the mortar mix? I wasn't planning on using it, but wanted to make sure there's not some compelling reason for using it.

Anyhows, here's the progress. I did a bit more than this but lost the light to take pictures in. The BBQ goes in the gap between the gas bottle and the return at the end of the brick work. There will be a work are to each side of the BBQ. The wall will eventually go all the way across as the concrete work area will be cast in situ on top of it, it may also get extended upwards, but not 100% on that yet. The gas ring from the BBQ will also get recycled and be inset in the small work area to the right of the BBQ.

Slowly getting there. I can almost taste the pizza
Attached Thumbnails
Adelaide WFO Build-img_2512.jpg  

Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the input Doug. Much appreciated. I am working to several different plans, trying to incorporate the best parts of each.

My subfloor is not suspended, it will be hardcore with compacted fill. I can lay down either concrete or insulation mix (or a combination of both) directly on top of this. My plan was to have a 4" subfloor with REOmesh and then lay the hearth bricks on top.

Would I need both concrete and insulation mix ( perlcrete / vermicrete) in this case? I have read that 'perlcrete' is used as a lightweight structural concrete alternative, so obviously no issue with its strength.

There seems to be a few differing opinions regarding the thermal mass of the floor; some say the larger the better, others don't think it makes too much difference. I decided to err on the side of caution and lay the bricks on their side (some even suggest two layers), it seemed like a good compromise. I think I will continue down this path, simply as I have already bought the bricks (plus it's an integral part of the design I have in mind).

Any comments / thoughts obviously very much appreciated.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Adelaide WFO Build

vdubber

Quote:
Also need to find a source for the vermiculite.
Just around the corner from the Old red Brick Co is Thermal Ceramics. They have the vermiculite and are very reasonably priced.

I also have 2 bags of fireclay that I got from Thermal Ceramics for my build if you need some.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 02-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Peasant

Niel, thinks for the heads up on thermal ceramics, will give them a go. Also, happy to take the clay off of your hands if it's surplus to requirements, PM me with your details and how much you want for it. The offer is much appreciated.

Doug, once again, thanks for the input. I just took the time to read through your build thread; definitely an inspiring read. Seems you are a true craftsman when it comes to building WFO's.

I think I will heed your advice and go for the thicker 'vermicrete', it's no issue to make it thicker, but obviously not something that can be changed very easily after it is built. Do you have a link to the thread about the floor thickness? I would like to read this before committing to laying mine.

The plans I am following are similar to yours, a bit from many sources and lots of great advice like this. I started with Russel Jeavons book, and then found a few online resources such as Forno Bravo. The basic design is still true to Russels book, I'm using fire bricks for the hearth, and whilst I had originally collected red clay bricks for the dome (which all turned out to be too badly weathered to use), I then conceded to use Littlehampton clay pavers. Whilst trying to source the pavers locally I managed to find a builders merchant that had some second hand wire cut clay bricks from a brick oven that had been dismantled, so bought these instead.

The overall aim of the build is to build an outside kitchen area comprising of the WFO a BBQ and a pan / wok burner so that we can entertain and not have to cook in our (small) kitchen. the out-laws have a BBQ under their verandah and use it as an extension of their kitchen, it's very functional, and inspired me to want to create an outdoor kitchen for our house.

The inspiration for the WFO originally came from a trip to Sorento for my mates wedding. Whilst we was there we visited Pompeii and I was overawed with the place. A while later I stumbled across Russels book in a tourist information shop in Mclarenvale and the seed was truly planted.

I've thought about the build for ages, in fact I've had Russels book for about three years now. However, now there is an incentive to get it finished - My daughters first birthday. (Which is a little over 2 weeks away). Pizza is on the menu and we need a WFO to cook them in.

This evening I managed to finish off the kitchen base. Now I just need to fill the oven base with hardcore and then add some fill. Next up is to cast the kitchen work surface in concrete and the oven base in vermicrete. Hopefully I will get this done tomorrow afternoon / evening. Unfortunately I have to take a car for an engineers inspection which will waste most of the day.

Will keep you posted.

Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Adelaide WFO Build-img_2518.jpg  

Last edited by vdubber; 02-16-2012 at 05:39 AM.