Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Serf

Default Re: Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
Rob,
go with the poor mans mortar as it is the best, cheapest, very easy to work and doesn't crack like some of those refractory mortars.
You are welcome to come and check my 40" Pompeii built in 07 and no cracks (except in the final render coating).
Why do you need to chicken wire between your vermiculite insulation layer and your final render layer?
I got all of my materials from Thermal Ceramics, Beverley and all works well. Only firebricks were from the old Adelaide abattoir boiler at $1 each

Neill
Hey Neil,

I went to Morgan Thermal but ended up getting basically everything from Frank at Avero Australia. He did a package deal for everything refractory. I've opted to use high heat mortar for the dome, already bought it so no turning back now.

I intend to use the chicken wire in the final layers of render,after the vermiculite. Just so it's that little bit stronger.

Rob
Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robd View Post
If it is too late now.. Just a BBQ so not an issue
Rob,
I think you'll find most councils in Australia require 1.5 m from the boundary fence for anything. If you have a difficult neighbour they could force you to tear it down. Having said that, mine is right on the boundary fence too, but I'm really careful to keep the smoke to a minimum (always maintain a flame) and provide my neighbours with occasional pizza and bread- no problems. When you start eliminating the water from your oven with the first fires it will be smokey.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Rob,
I think you'll find most councils in Australia require 1.5 m from the boundary fence for anything.
That was 20 years ago, the BCA now says you can build on the boundary line as long as the construction has at least a half hour fire rating, ie, 110mm thick brickwork.

Ive seen timber framed units built with just 20mm thick cement sheet as the dividing fire rated material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
That was 20 years ago, the BCA now says you can build on the boundary line as long as the construction has at least a half hour fire rating, ie, 110mm thick brickwork.

Ive seen timber framed units built with just 20mm thick cement sheet as the dividing fire rated material.
People often say that Queensland is 20 years behind the times. Here in Townsville the 1.5 m rule applies.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its the Building Code of Australia so should be uniform as was the intent.

Please point me in the direction of the amendment.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maybe the council guy who told me 1.5 m was really old. It was five years ago that i was given that info from council. I'll try and remember to ring them tomorrow to confirm. Measurements are pretty strange. I taught at a school once where they had a 6" rule that applied to the distance boys and girls were allowed to sit together.

Last edited by david s; 11-10-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Rang the Brisbane council when putting in a rain water tank about 3 year ago. Thier advice was to keep it 1.5 mtr off the boundry line, if it was under that I would have to apply to council for planning aprovial ( with the associated fees and waiting time).
......So by this rule my chook coup is illegal....

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Serf

Default Re: Adelaide Build Quest

Hi,

i've uploaded a few pics of my first oven. overall it turned out nice but you'll see i made a few mistakes in the construction and design process, it works really well from a practical point of view, but it ended up cracking quite bad. these pics were taken after a recent fire up, so once its up to temperature it tends to expand a bit and the cracks become more pronounced. its i bit unsightly but doesnt really impede the performance.

this oven was made of clay pavers for the cooking floor, and pressed reds for the dome. its got at least 100mm - 150mm insulation made from vermiculite and cement. theres plenty of insulation, once fully fired up its still only cool to touch.

mistakes that i made in the process were, i never used any chicken wire in the insulation, only used vermiculite/cement insulation. although a good insulator i thing as the dome expands, because theres no flexibility in the insulation its forced to crack.

i never cured the oven properly, got too eager and fired it right up.

lastley, the chimney flue is inside the dome, at the time of making this i didnt understand the behaviour of smoke and the necessity of the flue infront of the dome to draw the smoke up and out. so although it cooks well, on initial fire up it gets really smokey, and most of it comes right out the mouth.

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0442.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0443.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0440.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0441.jpg
Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Master Builder

Hi Rob,

You should repair your oven as soon as possible, do not allow it to sit uncovered in the rain, otherwise instead of a repair, you will need a redo on your stucco.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Serf

Rob

It looks like you did a great job, it looks really nice.

From my experience getting the flue right is the most difficult part of a wood oven design and construction. After I finished my dome I spent days working with different designs to keep the smoke out of my face.

In the end I got it about half right. This is one think I will change when I do my next one!

Just as well our ovens are inside.

Hope you are enjoying it

Regards

Alan

PS don't worry about the location, I am in SA and had it all checked out by my local council before I built it and they didnt have any concerns.

Tags
adelaide, firebrick, insulation, refractory, vermiculi