Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Serf

Default Re: 40" Corner oven in Manor Lakes - West Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
They've bricked up the house in the background and moved in while you put a slab for the oven down.......
Good things take time mate...
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Journeyman

Some things are slow in the U. S and A. Looks like the brickies can slap up a house quicker than these blokes can cobble up a WFO.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Master Builder

Hi

Did you check out Council re Oven builds?
Had a couple of post on my thread.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
Some things are slow in the U. S and A. Looks like the brickies can slap up a house quicker than these blokes can cobble up a WFO.

Errrh Johny, the build is in Melbourne....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hi

Cheers
The very last thing that you should do is contact the council, you will be dealing with some moron who is just filling in time until pension day and who will know bugger all about how a properly built oven should perform.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hi

Cheers
Yeah I gave them an anonymous call and asked. The guy who answered had no idea but put me through to one of the engineers. They said there was no proplem at all with building one and a permit was not required. Just make sure your not building over easements etc.

Dan
Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Master Builder

Thanks for that and nice to know.

If i remember from some years ago when i built a brick shed i built it over an easement. I was made to put in a 1.5x1.5 mt person hole [if thats politically correct] in the slab that could be dug up.

For my build i dont have a choice [position]. But i believe it is all easily accessible.

Cheers Colin
Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Serf

Well, after much thinking about continuing or smashing it to the ground I decided to continue. Had a very busy patch in the life at the moment and the oven went on the back burner unfortunately. I have since bought a saw and started progressing. All going well so far and I can visualize the final product already...

One question, on the arch pics you can see a small 'v' drawn onto the pillar blocks. To allow the arch something transfer load onto, should a cut this 'v' out to allow the end arch brick something positive to lock into? It would be pretty easy to do. Or Just sit it on top with a brick fillet mortared into each side?

Thanks for looking and if you can see any fatal flaws please let me know!!

Thanks again, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
40" Corner oven in Manor Lakes - West Melbourne-img_8366.jpg   40" Corner oven in Manor Lakes - West Melbourne-img_8370.jpg   40" Corner oven in Manor Lakes - West Melbourne-img_8371.jpg   40" Corner oven in Manor Lakes - West Melbourne-img_8372.jpg   40" Corner oven in Manor Lakes - West Melbourne-img_8376.jpg  

Old 09-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your arch profile is 25mm to high, thats why you have that funny little triangle in the corner.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:20 AM
Master Builder

Hi Dan

Long time no hear. Thought you'd be finished long time back. At this rate you will still beat me finishing your oven.

Ok from the look of it you aren't going to taper your arch?

I agree with Brickie take the 25mm off the arch or lay a split as the first course of the arch so it lifts to get rid of that triangle.

Also be careful with the IT yours is not adjustable and it does not seem to be centered [equal distance between top of brick and bottom of brick] on the brick. Deejayoh speaks about this here. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/28/h...ea-2573-3.html (Hendo's dome gauge -- nice idea)

page 23 I think it was.

Mine wasn't centered but I did not build a hemispeherical arch I assume since you are using a fixed length that you are. You will find that the bricks will not line up internally and will be set back/forward [not sure which] by up to 5 mm from what I noticed when I didn't adjust the IT between courses. Took me ages to figure that one out. That's why I ended you building a dome template to double check my adjustments.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-15-2013 at 01:32 AM.