Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 36inch build in Redlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne73 View Post
looks really good mate! love the black derivative bricks and those internal mortar joins are tight.Did you even use it?
Thanks Wayne, tried real hard to have no gap on the inside. Wish I tried a bit harder to stagger my bricks as I ended up with a few joins lining up with each other but I cant have everything... Should be ok. This was my first go at this type of thing but I quickly learned its all about the consistency of your mortar and how you butter your brick before you lay it. Stayed strict to my IT and also test fitted every brick and trimmed them where needed to fit up to the next one. Was taking me a full day for every course.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Stevo

I feel much better now with mine taking so long, I thought am I doing something wrong. I am also looking for that brick to brick fit no mortar. For the most I am achieving it, doing lots of kilometers back and forth to the saw, take a bit off here a bit off there. Up and down from the ladder sore legs by days end and then I look and only have achieved 3/4 of a course.

BUT THE END IS NEAR five course left after i pass the arch this afternoon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo70 View Post
Thanks for your comments everyone. Yep I'm really really happy with the dome so far. Cant stop looking at it. I don't think two ovens could possibly be the same, even if you tried. Dave, If your reading this, How thick was your render that is straight over blanket and has it cracked at all? What type of render did you use? is it reinforced apart from the chicken wire? Still so many questions....
Gudday
I was facing much the same conditions as you are now....too much rain!
I was prepared to do a pearlite layer had a chichen wire cage affair made 75mm out from ceramic and poked handfuls pearlite/cement through the wire and it rained. Ripped the wire and the unset pearlite cement off just in case the rain carried the cement through and wreak the ceramic layer. I replaced the pearlite/cement layer with rockwool ,a layer of chicken wire and put 2 maybe 3 lite layers of render over that. thickness varied probably 20 to 40 mm to overcome the lumps but the rockwool layer wasn't that lumpy. Used just render by the bag.
yes I did a crack at junction of the brick chimney and dome. Uneven expansion I suppose, it wasn't a biggy and I chased the crack open with an angle grinder and filled with paintable silastic. Never a problem after that.
I have Brick veneered over the dome now more for looks than wheather proofing.
Hope something helps
Regards Dave
36inch build in Redlands-img_0068.jpg

36inch build in Redlands-img_0069.jpg

36inch build in Redlands-img_0072.jpg

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 06-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Laborer

Thanks heaps Dave, I'll aim for around 20 to 30mm, should be plenty. Not the best weather for drying out my oven right now that's for sure. Had a look at Gulfs jig for keeping it round. Yeah I'll be in that. This site is so good for ideas and information. Also, I really like your veneer bricks so if my rendering skills turn out to be limited, I might copy your brick veneer idea too. Did you get the brick tiles locally? They do look good.

Last edited by stevo70; 06-30-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Thanks Stevo

I feel much better now with mine taking so long, I thought am I doing something wrong. I am also looking for that brick to brick fit no mortar. For the most I am achieving it, doing lots of kilometers back and forth to the saw, take a bit off here a bit off there. Up and down from the ladder sore legs by days end and then I look and only have achieved 3/4 of a course.

BUT THE END IS NEAR five course left after i pass the arch this afternoon.
Hi Colin, Passing the arch was my first milestone and I was relieved it worked out ok but once I closed the dome with that final brick, all those sore backs and dried out fingers started to feel worth while. Worked out I made something like around 700 cuts with my brick saw. I had fairly large bricks which I quartered first then tapered each quarter. Glad its over for now.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo70 View Post
Thanks heaps Dave, I'll aim for around 20 to 30mm, should be plenty. Not the best weather for drying out my oven right now that's for sure. Had a look at Gulfs jig for keeping it round. Yeah I'll be in that. This site is so good for ideas and information. Also, I really like your veneer bricks so if my rendering skills turn out to be limited, I might copy your brick veneer idea too. Did you get the brick tiles locally? They do look good.
Gudday
Could not find anything local so mine are made of 1/2 brick split down the middle with brick bulster and layed like normal brick over the dome . If you check out V-wiz build and gulfs they have actually split the bricks down themselves using a bricksaw and layed them like tiles the grouted the gapes
It was V- wizs oven that gave me the idea so there not much that's new around here
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Peasant

Hi Steve,

Love the oven! it was great reading through all the posts to see the journey. I was hoping to build a 36" as well. Given my lack of experience (Lego being my main construction medium, and not for 20years or so...) I decided to buy a DIY kit. I finished it on the weekend, all in one day which was a great, feel a little cheated though seeing your experience and awesome oven. Maybe if I move I will give the oven another go and build from scratch...

I have covered mine with render (Dunlop Acrylic render bought at Bunnings). It has been curing since Saturday and there are a couple of little cracks in it around the place (2-3). Not sure what to do with those, if anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate some input. They're very thin and not too long, maybe 100-200mm long... I'm thinking of giving it a coat or two of concrete water sealant as well.

Once again, congrats on the build, absolutely awesome!!

Cheers,

Tim
Old 09-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Peasant

Here's a quick pic of mine...
Attached Thumbnails
36inch build in Redlands-20130914_171422.jpg  
Old 09-16-2013, 01:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Didn't matter how it's achieved, you have an oven. And I assume eating pizza..

So well done.
brickie in oz and mothy like this.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Steve

What is happening with you finisheur build. Have you finished yet?