Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 36inch build in Redlands

Thanks Steve, Lucky for me I work 12 hour shifts which means I only work 14 days a month. Gives me a lot of time to spend on other things, like building pizza ovens... I spent the whole day yesterday finishing up the dome. Wow, what a feeling carving down the key stone and hearing the sound when I test fitted it and dropped in its place. Its an excellent fit. Didn't think I would get away with not using any forms for the dome but I have and it really wasn't that hard. Climbed inside this time to sponge off any excess mortar and got the picture of course. You haven't built an oven until you've stuck your head in and climbed in on your back, its an experience hey. Didn't want to grind anything in there as I think the manufactured brick face is more solid than a cut surface so I'd rather have a brick 1mm out of place than a rough surface that might drop some brick in the food. Going to tile the bench top next, then insulate and render the dome to bring the render down onto the tiles and hopefully keep some water out of the floor insulation. Still considering vermiculite on the dome but blanket only just seems too easy.
Attached Thumbnails
36inch build in Redlands-img_0647.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0650.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0653.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0656.jpg  
Gulf likes this.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice closing.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Master Builder

The vermicrete over the CF blanket is handy for filling any gaps in the fitup of the blanket and helps bring things back to the pure dome shape without compressing the CF. It also gives the render a good medium to key to. The extra insulation is welcome too.

IMHO
Gulf likes this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Laborer

At the moment I only have enough blanket for 2 layers or about 50mm so I will put that on and see how my shape is looking. If its a bit wonky from the blanket, I'll go a layer of vermiculite on top. If I can keep the shape ok with 2 layers of blanket, I might just buy another blanket and leave it at that. I do like the thought of rendering over vermiculite rather than a blanket tho. Has anyone had any issues with render cracking or being egg shell like when it's straight on top of a blanket?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo70 View Post
At the moment I only have enough blanket for 2 layers or about 50mm so I will put that on and see how my shape is looking. If its a bit wonky from the blanket, I'll go a layer of vermiculite on top. If I can keep the shape ok with 2 layers of blanket, I might just buy another blanket and leave it at that. I do like the thought of rendering over vermiculite rather than a blanket tho. Has anyone had any issues with render cracking or being egg shell like when it's straight on top of a blanket?
Gudday
I don't think you can go wrong either way really. I rendered without doing the pearlcrete thing and you can get that round shape without the pearlcrete layer.
Check out Gulfs build he has used a jig to get the perfect dome shape and if perfects what your after you couldn't go wrong.
By the way you build looking real good.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Master Builder

Hi Steve

Well done.that dome looks the bomb. Still love white mortar. Well be doing the same but don't have a choice house uses white mortar. You have done well you must be chuffed with the finish. Am a little envious, wish I had more time myself.

My Build -
Old 06-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Apprentice

I love the inside-of-the-dome photos. I never get tired of seeing them. Every oven is different. You could probably uniquely identify each and every oven - like fingerprints.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:44 AM
Master Builder

or Oven DNA

My Build -
Old 06-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Laborer

Thanks for your comments everyone. Yep I'm really really happy with the dome so far. Cant stop looking at it. I don't think two ovens could possibly be the same, even if you tried. Dave, If your reading this, How thick was your render that is straight over blanket and has it cracked at all? What type of render did you use? is it reinforced apart from the chicken wire? Still so many questions....
Old 06-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Apprentice

looks really good mate! love the black derivative bricks and those internal mortar joins are tight.Did you even use it?