Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 AM
Laborer

Default Re: 36inch build in Redlands

Checked out Mr Chipsters door and its pretty much exactly the same. It could well be the one I got the idea from, cant remember where I saw it. Cleared the dome, only just. If you zoom in on the photo, you will see I had to grind out the corner a fraction so as not to see it from the outside. I could have come in another inch or so with this arch style. (Vertical sides). I think if I used a complete rounded arch, my placement of the inner arch would have been perfect as I would not have had the sharp corners up high. Has worked anyhow. Completed the outer arch with glazed house bricks today. Looks good. Will post some pics soon.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nobody but you will ever know you had to grind. It really looks good to me. The class of 2013 are really making some great builds.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Laborer

Thanks Russell. Just thinking ahead again, I bought a 7metre roll of ceramic fibre blanket for insulation. It's 25mm thick so I will need to cover the thing 3 times to achieve the required 75mm. I'm doubting 7 metres is going to be enough. Anybody else covered a 36" oven with this and how much did you need? Thinking I'm going to be buying a second box. Could do a layer of vermiculite as I have seen others do but it looks difficult and messy to me?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:37 AM
Master Builder

Stevo. I used 1 box of 128/25 on my 36" and it did 2 layers. I topped this with vermicrete to take the whole insulation layer (CF and vermicrete) out to 100mm. The oven holds the heat very well and still retains useful heat 48 hours after the door goes on.

The additional vermiculite is not such a hassle once you get the hang of it. I found that applying it in tennis ball size lots with the ball of the hand worked for me. Trick is to apply it in one motion and then leave it alone, it will stay there then but did not tolerate messing about with it. Imperfections can be sorted out with the render coat.

Disposable overalls, gloves, dust mask and goggles are a good idea with the CF blanket. I fitted it in the sunshine and there are plenty of airborne fibres. We will find out in 30 years what damage they can cause!
brickie in oz likes this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post

Disposable overalls, gloves, dust mask and goggles are a good idea with the CF blanket. I fitted it in the sunshine and there are plenty of airborne fibres. We will find out in 30 years what damage they can cause!
Same, I cant stress enough how you should cover up and protect yourself.
Even after using disposable overalls go shake your self in the sunlight, the fibres that come off you will make you think twice.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:09 AM
Laborer

Thanks guys. Well I have sucked up my fair share of asbestos over the years, but I will be sure to cover up as much as I can. Cant talk myself into the vermiculite tho, think I'll just stick with the blankets. Got my outer decorative arch done, 2 more courses and started my chimney bricks. Going great guns. My Indispensable tool is about to become Dispensable I think... Might get one more course out of it but it's starting to get a bit hard to manoeuvre and my bricks are getting smaller. Finding I need to taper them much more to achieve no mortar gaps on the inside. I have been making a couple of shallow cuts across each brick and I think it is helping the brick to stay in place and not slide inwards without forms.
Attached Thumbnails
36inch build in Redlands-img_0626.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0630.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Steve

Love the use of white mortar with the bricks hadn't noticed that before. Looks good.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Laborer

Thanks Colin, Contrasts well with the dark bricks. I am picking up some terracotta tiles today for the bench top and I was thinking about using white grout around them also. Still thinking about that one tho, might be too much white but then it might match the arches and look ok???
Old 06-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Laborer

Well not sure if it was a good day or a sad day when I removed my faithful old IT. Have 1 more course and then make up a keystone to fit spot on and i'm done with the bricks. The neighbours will be pleased to not hear my brick saw for a while. Have dynabolted down the flue and I'm still trying to come up with something decorative for around its base. Maybe bricks to match the arch bricks? Will mortar down a layer of paver sized slabs around the base of the flue as discussed earlier but think it will be a good place for something decorative.
Attached Thumbnails
36inch build in Redlands-img_0635.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0636.jpg  
Greenman likes this.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Master Builder

Looking good Stevo. The dark bricks and light mortar are a nice touch. You will soon be able to replace the scream of the bricksaw with the whiff of something good cooking (with a touch of smoke). You have moved quickly with your build and it looks a good job.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics