Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36inch build in Redlands

Hi Stevo

It may just be the photo [optical illusion] and the angle but the Brick in your IT looks like it is around the wrong way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Draw a mockup of you oven dome full size showing full thickness of brick on large bit of cardboard. Make one of the floor showing the brick as well. You can then play with some bricks with it. You see very quickly why davids said to cut an angle in the back of your arch
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 05-19-2013, 11:47 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hi Stevo

It may just be the photo [optical illusion] and the angle but the Brick in your IT looks like it is around the wrong way.
The bricks I acquired are a strange size. Have cut them into 4 which still gives me the 4.5" wall thickness but it is a small brick. Could leave them in halves if I want to but the arch looks neater with smaller bricks.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Laborer

Yes I can understand why you would cut the arch on an angle but in my case, I have ended up with the inner arch a little narrow, (75mm front to back) so don't really want to take any more meat out of it to keep it as strong as possible. It will be the back edge of the chimney which I want to start off with bricks going about a foot high so even more weight. Might have to cut some strange angles on the dome bricks that come around that part. I actually did draw it up on cardboard and used a piece of string to see where I would end up but the more I looked at it, the more it confused me.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I went back and checked out your brick. There plenty big enough.
Remember your building 2 of the strongest types of building on the planet the dome and the arch. Both of which depend of gravity for there strength. You want to be able to lock both the dome and the arch in together so cutting a slip of the arch is a good thing.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Laborer

G'day Dave, I probably misled you with my picture in #17. I had just mocked that up with any bricks I could find just so you can get the picture of where I intended to place my inner arch and its contact angle with the dome brick. I have now cut the bricks I will be using and they have a reveal in the bottom to suit the door stop, as do the sides of the arch. As I said before they are only 75mm thick and I don't want to leave the arch too thin but I should be able to run a string line across them and take a small slice off. Yes they will sit neater that way I agree. Maybe the arch will regain its strength once the dome bricks are mortared to it?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
The strength in the arch is we're the bricks touch on the inside face. The mortar wedge is there to keep the outer pieces apart and orientate the bricks so that gravity can keep the thing locked together. The mortar is a glue in some ways but it also function as a shock resistant spacer as the oven heats and cools expands and contracts.
Same with the dome it's the brick to brick contact to the structure that supplies the strength the mortar at the back just helps to keep the brick in the correct position.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Laborer

Ok you've talked me into it. I'll chop em...
Old 05-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Laborer

Thought I would post up some pictures of how things are panning out. I'm pretty happy with how its looking so far, Inner arch is going to be very neat I think. Finished the second chain just now. Will chamfer the top of the inner arch bricks but will wait until Im up that high so I can cut them in the correct place.
Attached Thumbnails
36inch build in Redlands-img_0576.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0578.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0579.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0583.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0584.jpg  

Old 05-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo70 View Post
Will chamfer the top of the inner arch bricks but will wait until Im up that high so I can cut them in the correct place.
Good idea, you'll find you've gone to far with the arch bricks already and you can see that the last three coarse's are not going to marry up with the dome correctly.you can use your indispensable tool to give you an idea how far the arch bricks need to come back.