Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 36inch build in Redlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Good tools do make good job. Looks like you can weld. Good luck on your build.
Thanks yes fortunately I can weld and think I'll stick to that after this oven is built. A professional brickie would have stories to tell for weeks if he saw me building my arch yesterday. Got there in the end and it is reasonable. Harder than it looks. Also layed out the insulating bricks precisely and built up the floor height to them with mortared down commons. Left some channels for weep hole drainage. Should work out ok. First course to go down now. Will arrange them on their ends and I have cut a slice off each one to give the second course a more angled surface to sit on rather than flat. This question might have been asked a thousand times but is it best to mortar down the first course or leave it just sitting on the insulation bricks? Downloaded instructions don't really mention it. My floor will be cut to fit inside the first "soldier" course.
Attached Thumbnails
36inch build in Redlands-img_0564.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0567.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0568.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Don't ever be reluctant to ask ,the plans arnt everything.
On the question of mortaring down the first ring of brick that's a No. The domes best to be left to expand and contract separately to the rest.
Run a bit of tape around the space between the dome and hearth so it doesn't fill with mortar as the build progresses for the same reason.
There has been a lot of discussion over soilder courses over time, but if you use one it will require buttressing of some form at least an inch of mortar around it.
My own build has a soilder course, but I err to side of caution as you can achieve a stronger constructin with bricks layed on the flat

Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Laborer

Thanks Dave, Makes sense what you say about the soldier course but unfortunately I have already committed and cut my first course. Might not be as bad as they are a weird shaped brick cut in half which makes them shorter than a normal fire brick. They are only 160mm tall and with the angles cut to support the second course makes them even shorter might be ok?
Old 05-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=
Run a bit of tape around the space between the dome and hearth so it doesn't fill with mortar as the build progresses for the same reason.

Regards dave[/QUOTE]

I prefer using a single layer of corrugated cardboard for this space. It is about the right thickness required and burns away easier.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I prefer using a single layer of corrugated cardboard for this space. It is about the right thickness required and burns away easier.
Ok so I will want to leave a gap between the floor tiles and the first course of about the width of a piece of cardboard? or maybe about 3mm? Cover it while constructing to keep cement etc out of there?
Old 05-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't bother covering it. The cardboard itself prevents almost all material from falling in the space. It fills with wood ash anyway.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Laborer

How am I looking for inner arch location? Its all just mocked up for now but seems like an important step and I want to get it right before I cut the floor tiles to fit inside.
Attached Thumbnails
36inch build in Redlands-img_0569.jpg  
Old 05-19-2013, 04:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If it was mine I'd be tapering those arch bricks and trimming about 10 mm off the bottom of the arch form, then place some wedges under it so the form can be dropped. Otherwise you'll have difficulty getting the form out and risk damaging your newly laid arch.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Stevo

David's right, on both counts.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Laborer

Thanks Colin and David, Good advice. Do you think my arch is in the correct position as far as being not too far in and not too far out?